Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it really so bad to want to over achieve?

Recently some of my friends have been moaning at me because I keep complaining about some C grades. It is kind of getting me down, but I don't see what I have done so wrong?

I get mainly A's and B's in my modular exams at GCSE and same on my report.
    But when I fail a practice test or don't do so well in a presentation or corsework, I feel really down and know I tried my best, but I cant help to think "What if I had just done this or that"

I may be being stupid, but my friends always have a go at me for moaning about getting a low C grade, am I really horrible for wanting the best possible grades? :confused:

(sorry about long post, any advice... Many thanks)

ReputationRep:
    What grades do your friends get? I think moaning about Cs is fair enough, but tbh if your friends are all scraping Es then I can see their point. I know people who have never got less than 90% in any kind of test and they moan constantly that they're not good enough - That's annoying.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing "wrong" with wanting to over achieve, but I'm sure you'll agree with me when I say that it makes your academic life that much more stressful when you find yourself falling behind - I actually envy people who are able to get a grade slightly below their standard and shrug it off and move on.

ReputationRep:
    Work Hard. Get A*'s

Or if you already do that,

Work HARDER.

ReputationRep:
    Real life is much different to TSR, you aren't stupid since if a C isn't reflecting your true ability and you don't feel you've achived your best then it obviously isn't good enough.

ReputationRep:
    I would have CRIED if I got a C. You're absolutely justified in anting to do better than that.

ReputationRep:
    My best friend is like that- always feeling like she isn't good enough despite always being a high achiever.

Whereas, I'm a potentially-high achiever who always aims low.

I compromise by encouraging her, reading over her essays, and then stealing her happiness when she gets good marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    What grades do your friends get? I think moaning about Cs is fair enough, but tbh if your friends are all scraping Es then I can see their point. I know people who have never got less than 90% in any kind of test and they moan constantly that they're not good enough - That's annoying.
    No they get C's, B's, Few of them get A's and A*'s. They are happy with acheiving C's though because its a pass, but I just feel as if I can get better than just a pass.

ReputationRep:
    I would be upset if i got C because I'd know I could do better
    Its what you know you can achieve..
    Theres nothing wrong with it (IMO)

ReputationRep:
    I think anyone who whines about passing with a low grade is a pussy'ole (I love that word). ****ings whiners always crying if they get A's and B's instead of A*'s. Pisses me off to the max when anyone does that.

ReputationRep:
    No I think it's great to try to over-achieve...I've planned my life out perfectly (odd i know) and I know it won't go exactly that way but I like to plan for that so that if anything does go wrong, I still have good goals...

I think your friends may just be jealous - I get my friends complaining because I'm scared of getting any Bs (yes I know im a nerd lol)...

(Original post by xxstace123xx)
    Recently some of my friends have been moaning at me because I keep complaining about some C grades. It is kind of getting me down, but I don't see what I have done so wrong?
    :rolleyes:

The issue is not that you want to do your best, but how you continue to tell your friends that what's a good enough grade to them is not good enough for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    Like you said, it's just about who you're moaning at.

It seems that a lot of people will disagree with me on this, but I think there's nothing wrong with being unhappy about a 85% when you can normally get 90%+ easily! It's the same as a very good athlete being unhappy about being 0.2 secs slower than usual in a sprint, and it's the same as a C student being unhappy about a D. If you fail to achieve your own standards, you're allowed to be unhappy. Having said that, it is unfair to whine about a 85% in the presence of people who worked their ass off for a C.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rummang)
    I think anyone who whines about passing with a low grade is a pussy'ole (I love that word). ****ings whiners always crying if they get A's and B's instead of A*'s. Pisses me off to the max when anyone does that.
    a C is a lot different to an A*, when it comes to employment, further education.

So yes, It does kind of matter.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with doing well, the problem is (especially on this forum):
    - When people complain that they got 90% instead of 95%. No one cares, and it's disheartening to people who worked hard and achieved lower.
    - When people think they're better than other people because they have a string of As. GCSEs aren't proof of intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    A C is an acheivement for some people. If someone's happy with that, it's going to piss them off if you belittle it.

Aiming high is great. Don't put people down that don't aim so highly though or they will hate you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxstace123xx)
    a C is a lot different to an A*, when it comes to employment, further education.

So yes, It does kind of matter.
    True. But I was staying on-topic with the GCSE grades.

ReputationRep:
    Don't let yourself forget that there is more to life than grades.

People have done well at school and failed to translate that into success in the real world. People have done badly at school and managed to be successful.

Importance of GCSEs really is small aslong as you do fairly well. 10 A*s v 10 As doesn't matter much in the real world I'm afraid. It pains me to say this because I wish it wasn't so, but it's true.

Perhaps your friends who don't so well just get fed up of you talking about grades? I'm not saying you do because I don't know you, but it is annoying when someone goes on and on and on about school results which really mean very little.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing inherently wrong with wanting to 'over achieve' but if you're communicating this desire tactlessly, ad nauseam, it will start to grate.

Especially if your friends are achieving lower grades, for instance. It's a bit like bemoaning your inability to run at a quick pace to a legless man. This is applicable to everything in life, not just grades.

ReputationRep:
    It's not good to moan about it, though it's okay to care without over caring. In the end, exams decide what profession you'll be practising, not what person you're going to be.

People all over the world are struggling to survive, while others are struggling to pass a test...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.