Turn on thread page Beta

Girls: Personality before looks? watch

ReputationRep:
    I just care how he presents himself. I don't really care about what he actually looks like. I'm thinking there's intelligence and confidence when you can present yourself well.

ReputationRep:
    Personality before looks, however looks can be a veto. E.g. obesity or feminine legs on a man turn me off. The rest doesn't matter so much.

This is what I look for:
    Positive for
    Confidence
    Humour
    Intelligence
    Tact
    And mostly negative for
    arrogance
    selfishness
    vulgarity

When it comes to personality, confidence to me is one of the most important traits. You can be a great guy but if you're insecure or clingy, I won't want to have anything to do with you.. sorry if that makes me shallow, I've had to fight a LOT of such guys off.. I don't know what attracts them to me, it's kind of suicidal.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say yes, personality goes far beyond looks. A great personality on a normal looking guy = attraction and interest. A normal personality on a great looking guy = less so. A BAD personality on a great looking guy = no thanks, no matter how hot. It's happened to me a few times; a guy I wasn't instantly attracted to lookswise suddenly became very attractive when I got to know his personality, whereas hot guys have repelled me once I got to know them.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a girl and I would say that most girls including me like boys who are funny, sweet, caring, protective but not overly-protective and confident. They also have to be quite good looking

ReputationRep:
    Oh and also, the thing that really turns me off is when lads are unreliable eg, not texting back or ringing when they say they will! And lads who boast about sex and their ex gfs all the time! Its really off-putting!

ReputationRep:
    well..looks attract me to the guy, and as im getting to know the person, he has to have personality.. if hes hot, but has no personality, bye bye..

soo looks then personality

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wackysparkle)
    for me admittedly its initially looks - but then .. I get to know the person a bit more and then personality comes in... so essentially firstly its looks and then personality more so really
    I'm the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitkat01)
    Oh and also, the thing that really turns me off is when lads are unreliable eg, not texting back or ringing when they say they will! And lads who boast about sex and their ex gfs all the time! Its really off-putting!
    i agree!!!.. i hate it when theyr like that..........

and i hate guys who say they dont like something, yet they do it or go for it... and.... yeh not texting back etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitkat01)
    I'm a girl and I would say that most girls including me like boys who are funny, sweet, caring, protective but not overly-protective and confident. They also have to be quite good looking
    That's pretty much an example of what I was saying... a lot of young girls have ridiculously high expectations, and expect the boys that look the best to also possess all those other qualities (traditionally found in less aesthetically pleasing guys, might I add).

I'm not saying it's impossible to find a person with all those characteristics... it's just hard for some guys to have to wait for women to decide that maybe looks aren't everything - and until then, those who aren't so good looking are left alone and waiting.

I also suspect that those women who choose beauty over substance are usually left hurt and jaded... or have that dream of finding the "perfect man" until they've pushed every guy out of their life and also end up alone.

Tragic, but there you have it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Demon_AS)
    That's pretty much an example of what I was saying... a lot of young girls have ridiculously high expectations, and expect the boys that look the best to also possess all those other qualities (traditionally found in less aesthetically pleasing guys, might I add).

I'm not saying it's impossible to find a person with all those characteristics... it's just hard for some guys to have to wait for women to decide that maybe looks aren't everything - and until then, those who aren't so good looking are left alone and waiting.

I also suspect that those women who choose beauty over substance are usually left hurt and jaded... or have that dream of finding the "perfect man" until they've pushed every guy out of their life and also end up alone.

Tragic, but there you have it.

I don't think that what I said it is a ridiculously high expectation if that is what you meant! And I dont EXPACT it from every boy, it would just be nice to have those qualities which I have found most boys actually do have!

ReputationRep:
    tbh I'd go for guys who are slightly attractive but definitely cooler, than really hot guys

They do tend to have more of an ego though, as expected :p:

ReputationRep:
    Why does there always have to be a compromise?

I must be the only person alive who's looking for Mr Looks & Mr Personality combined.
    I wouldn't date a guy I didn't find amazingly attractive, nor would I date someone who was as dull as dishwater.

Definitely intelligence- I love guys who can give me a good mental challenge and leave me in awe. It's a real turn-on lol.

Though it varies from girl to girl, it's definitely personality first for me, though looks are a nice bonus too

ReputationRep:
    this is so hard because when a person opens tjeir mouth they can suddenly become physically attractive because of their inner beauty and it becomes hard to seperate. just as an attractive person who is nasty will become physically unattractive some of the time. CHARM is the key to my heart i've worked out...works better when its a good looking guy though.... makes me fall for the wrong types because charm is so false but i can't help it

ReputationRep:
    For me it's:

Money > Looks > Personality.

I think i'm onto something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Formica)
    What if she looks like a man though? It's a tough choice between principles and orientation :beard:
    Haha, well I don't really think anyone's particularly bad looking in itself, but obviously bad hygiene can make people somewhat less attractive. If they had good hygiene and took care of themselves it'd be quite hard for them to look like a man

ReputationRep:
    Personality tops the list.
    Honestly, someone with an amazing personality will automatically look 100x hotter to me, whatever they look like.

I know this guy who is pretty average looking, but he is incredibly funny, confident and he just oozes charisma. Consequently, he has girls falling over themselves to get into his pants. I'm not kidding.

ReputationRep:
    Looks, then personality
    if your not physically attracted to them, then whats the point. Personality is important too, but looks more so.
    This is coming from an ugly person.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.