The Student Room Group

If I suspend my studies, am I still classed a student for tax if I receive benefits?

I had to suspend my studies after a particularly brutal illness. 7 months into the suspension, we thought it was under control and so I worked for a bit, but then it came back particularly badly and I had to claim benefits. I assumed that my student status exempted me from paying council tax (the exemption for which I had applied), but I have now been billed for the period that I claimed benefits (actually not billed, asked to appear before a magistrate regarding it, despite having never been prompted to pay it before). If you claim benefits, does this auto-exclude you from the student council tax exemption? Any clarity much appreciated.
(edited 4 years ago)
If you’re not studying then you’re not eligible for council tax exemption. Part time and suspended students are not exempt from council tax.

You might be eligible for other discounts or exemptions if you’re on a low income or the only non exempt person in a household and councils are usually quite reasonable about agreeing affordable payments if you’re in financial hardship (especially if you’re likely to be exempt as a student again in future so they can be reassured that your debt won’t continue to grow forever).
Sorry to hear about your situation. I hope you are feeling better now. From what little I know, I think they are very strict and only class you for student exemptions if you are actually able to study. Might be worth speaking to them to see if you qualify for other benefits if you are struggling.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending