Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thats funny)
    There's truth in it of course. But I'd say more factors are involved. Education - Culture etc
    ah of course yes, but before you can look at those it is important to establish a base in the family. Other factors are hugely important though, what do you think about it all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichaelG)
    where does discipline come from?

role models. parent figures.
    It doesn't follow that there needs to be two of these role models, or even that they need to be parents- teachers, for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisgruntledMoth)
    It doesn't follow that there needs to be two of these role models, or even that they need to be parents- teachers, for example.
    Surely a teacher's only a role-model in the concept of the school and education. The important thing is that the parents love the child; for the child to be loved (there doesn't seem to be much of a substitute for that).

ReputationRep:

ah in a way, teachers have a similar responsibility to parents though. Still yeah, I do see what you're saying though.

who knows whats gonna happen in the future :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm sure we'd do quite well with any of these overnight quick-fix solutions.

ReputationRep:
    Defintely, if we can get this sorted by say 8 am (7 hrs time)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Recursion)
    Surely a teacher's only a role-model in the concept of the school and education. The important thing is that the parents love the child; for the child to be loved (there doesn't seem to be much of a substitute for that).
    I was talking about discipline; teachers should be an important role of authority.

Cart 'em all off to the armeh, that's what I say.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, the government should come to these forums for advice hahah!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't read any of that, it looked boring.

I'd just like to say that I predict a riot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adampolar)
    Who holds this opinion?
    Just a wild guess, outta many people, the most sig. here would be the OP, then moi

ReputationRep:
    I was talking about discipline; teachers should be an important role of authority.

Cart 'em all off to the armeh, that's what I say.
    Surely the relationship with the person who's doing the discipline is important; parents (to generalise) control their kids through their offspring's feelings of guilt (induced because the child loves them).

Discipline of force is fine as a last resort.

The army's too good for them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aconite)

lol, cute :rolleyes:

talking about how the "new" generation of kiddos seem to lack the morals and ethics that the older generations had, and so and so forth.. in summary---but this falls way short of what that "article" deserves really.

ReputationRep:
    Who holds this opinion?
    I'd say quite a lot of folks -

Disgruntled mothers
    Teachers who get beaten up by students
    Old people frightened to set foot out their front door after dark etc etc

Every time I go to an older relative's house like my grandma or whatever they're always on about how they're afraid to go out because kids are awful these days - And it's right. They are.
    And I hear others saying it too.

I mean I couldn't give a crap what people do, if they wantto act like thugs and idiots and disrespectful kids then whatever, enjoy the porridge one half, and enjoy the child benefit the rest. But if I have kids some day and they have to be born into a generation of complete and utter spanners - well it puts me off wanting to have kids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aconite)

top marks go to Mr. Originality :p:

ReputationRep:
    Surely the relationship with the person who's doing the discipline is important; parents (to generalise) control their kids through their offspring's feelings of guilt (induced because the child loves them).

The army's too good for them...
    I'm not so sure id agree with that first part- basic child development tends to disagree a bit w/ that i believe....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lithium)
    Just a wild guess, outta many people, the most sig. here would be the OP, then moi
    Guess I will have to go against this and say that I do not think that every member of the younger generation are running riot!

ReputationRep:

Didn't you read the thread? We're all doomed.

Surely that's cause for the last resort. :p:

ReputationRep:
    And it's right. They are.
    And the most ironic part of all is that, technically speaking, they are the same gen. as we are....how did that happen...really?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say quite a lot of folks -

Disgruntled mothers
    Teachers who get beaten up by students
    Old people frightened to set foot out their front door after dark etc etc

Every time I go to an older relative's house like my grandma or whatever they're always on about how they're afraid to go out because kids are awful these days - And it's right. They are.
    And I hear others saying it too.

I mean I couldn't give a crap what people do, if they wantto act like thugs and idiots and disrespectful kids then whatever, enjoy the porridge one half, and enjoy the child benefit the rest. But if I have kids some day and they have to be born into a generation of complete and utter spanners - well it puts me off wanting to have kids.
    I suggest forming your own opinions and not stealing those of every newspaper.

ReputationRep:
    Guess I will have to go against this and say that I do not think that every member of the younger generation are running riot!
    I don't recall reading once in the OP post that he said every member was a running riot, but statistics talk, hell, you should be able to see if for yourself....

how old are you?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.