The Student Room Group

Weight loss :) + laxatives :/ TW ED

Hi guys, so recently I started using laxatives to lose weight. BUT I just used 10 pills in 3 days and I’ve lost 8lbs. In a week which I’m really happy about and I get the excuse of being ill so I don’t have to eat at home so I can go two days without eating. But, I’ve been getting extreme stomach ache and nausea so I got sent home from school. This week (31/12/19) started 13st 10 and a half. Today (7/01/20) I am 13st 3. Which is super fat I know. Has anyone got any ideas on how to speed up loss? I know 5lbs in a week is good, but it’s not enough. I’m gonna start exercising more but I can’t get away with not eating infront of my parents as I’m only having like 200 calories a day. Yesterday I had 198 and the day before I had 91. Today I’ve had 121. Any tips?

Scroll to see replies

Please don’t starve yourself, it messes up your metabolism and actually causes your body to put on weight much easier, and is generally not good for your health and well-being... you’re going to hate me but the best way to lose weight is consistent exercise and a balanced diet. I unintentionally went from a size 12 to a size 6 through exercise and healthy eating. Not eating really isn’t good for you
Reply 2
Original post by Dani—
Please don’t starve yourself, it messes up your metabolism and actually causes your body to put on weight much easier, and is generally not good for your health and well-being... you’re going to hate me but the best way to lose weight is consistent exercise and a balanced diet. I unintentionally went from a size 12 to a size 6 through exercise and healthy eating. Not eating really isn’t good for you

I have literally tried everything. EVERYTHING. and this is the only thing that seems to work.
Original post by Chlx3_xoxo
I have literally tried everything. EVERYTHING. and this is the only thing that seems to work.

A balanced diet is the best option. What you’re doing is going to mess up your system.
Reply 4
Go to your GP if you genuinely cannot lose weight in a balanced and healthy way. This is so unhealthy and incredibly dangerous. Weight loss is not worth causing internal damage for. Trust me on that.
your body will become dependent on the laxatives and youre really messing everything up.
Bad, bad idea.

If you genuinely can’t loose weight, I’d have to agree with Pathway. Go and see your gp because there may be a reason why you’re finding it hard to loose weight, and sooner you find out the reason, if there is one, the better because what you’re doing now is going to be damaging to you in the long run
Hi guys, so recently I started using laxatives to lose weight. BUT I just used 10 pills in 3 days and I’ve lost 8lbs. In a week which I’m really happy about and I get the excuse of being ill so I don’t have to eat at home so I can go two days without eating. But, I’ve been getting extreme stomach ache and nausea so I got sent home from school. This week (31/12/19) started 13st 10 and a half. Today (7/01/20) I am 13st 3. Which is super fat I know. Has anyone got any ideas on how to speed up loss? I know 5lbs in a week is good, but it’s not enough. I’m gonna start exercising more but I can’t get away with not eating infront of my parents as I’m only having like 200 calories a day. Yesterday I had 198 and the day before I had 91. Today I’ve had 121. Any tips?

One reason I wasn't losing weight was because I didn't actually know just how high in calories some of the foods I was eating were. For example I'd sometimes replace sauce on pasta with olive oil and seasoning thinking it was healthier, but then after some research it turns out oil is actually insanely high in calories and actually fattier than the sauce. It's the foods you don't even have a second thought about that mess you up (or maybe I'm just stupid). Just eat foods low in calories, and high in protein/fiber to stay full for longer, and possibly some weights training to increase your BMR. It'll be a slow process but you'll get there. Only thing starving yourself is speeding up is trips to the hospital.
Reply 9
Original post by throwaway87325
One reason I wasn't losing weight was because I didn't actually know just how high in calories some of the foods I was eating were. For example I'd sometimes replace sauce on pasta with olive oil and seasoning thinking it was healthier, but then after some research it turns out oil is actually insanely high in calories and actually fattier than the sauce. It's the foods you don't even have a second thought about that mess you up (or maybe I'm just stupid). Just eat foods low in calories, and high in protein/fiber to stay full for longer, and possibly some weights training to increase your BMR. It'll be a slow process but you'll get there. Only thing starving yourself is speeding up is trips to the hospital.

For the past year, I refuse to eat unhleahty things. I’ve had a few binges of over 1000 calories. Usually 400+ calories is a binge. If I eat something I always know how many calories are in it. Last year I recovered from anorexia but even then I wasn’t underweight I had just lost a lot of weight in a short time period and now I’m overweight again. I know everyone says don’t starve yourself and stuff but I’m not. I’m just not letting myself eat bad food anymore.
Eating only 200 calories a day isn’t enough for your body to function properly and using laxatives isn’t a long term solution.

You should try to use a balanced diet to lose weight with a calorie deficit, I recommend using the MyFitnessPal app, using this I was able to lose nearly 3st in less than a year, if you can also seeing a dietitian could be worth it as they can do a tailored plan for you and help you along the way
For the past year, I refuse to eat unhleahty things. I’ve had a few binges of over 1000 calories. Usually 400+ calories is a binge. If I eat something I always know how many calories are in it. Last year I recovered from anorexia but even then I wasn’t underweight I had just lost a lot of weight in a short time period and now I’m overweight again. I know everyone says don’t starve yourself and stuff but I’m not. I’m just not letting myself eat bad food anymore.

Yeah that's strange, if you're eating healthily and still not losing weight then I'd have to go with what the others have said and say go and see your GP. They'll be able to help you more than anyone on TSR.

Drastic low calories like you mention in your opening post are starving yourself. Good food can still be high in calories. If you are using map app how many calories is your target set to? The body needs a minimum number of calories to operate basic brain function etc. What you are doing to your insides with virtually no food plus laxatives doesn't bear thinking about - you are going to end up in hospital at this rate. Losses of multiple lbs in a week is going to mostly be water so you are going to suffer from dehydration.
Please seek professional help ASAP
what laxatives are you using?

No. You have not recovered from your anorexia. What you are doing is still disordered behaviour. Are you seeing anyone for your eating disorder?
It can cause nutrient deficiency. Don’t use them.
Reply 16
The recommended weight loss is 1-2lb a week, so losing 5lb or more is not good! Laxatives and starvation won't work. You aren't consuming enough calories to function properly; your body is telling you this with your symptoms of pain and nausea. Aside from the damage you are doing to your organs, if you start exercising on so few calories you will do yourself even more damage; if you are tired there's a danger you could fall or pass out, or you could break a bone.

Seek professional help.
Reply 17
In addition to what everyone else has said, by using laxatives to lose "weight", you're not losing the kind of weight you want to lose anyway. You're just shedding loads of food weight and water weight. Absolutely none of it is body fat. This is why you gain it all back as soon as you eat or drink anything, making you take laxatives to lose it again and it's a vicious cycle. Then you feel like crap as you're malnourished and dehydrated.

So yeah, this is extremely dangerous and unhealthy.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by anthonyburgess
what laxatives are you using?

why?
Original post by black tea
No. You have not recovered from your anorexia. What you are doing is still disordered behaviour. Are you seeing anyone for your eating disorder?

i don't have an ED, i'm too fat. ive been with cahms for two years, three this year.

Latest