The Student Room Group

Physics help on velocity of air molecules

I’m not understanding, if velocity for nitrogen I’d greater due to its lower mass shouldn’t it ha e greater kinetic energy
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Ailurophile03
I’m not understanding, if velocity for nitrogen I’d greater due to its lower mass shouldn’t it ha e greater kinetic energy

The main principle to grasp is that the Average KE of a gas is solely dependant on its temperature.
The two gases therefore have equal average KE.
Because N is lighter than Ox, the N travel at higher speeds in order to achieve the same Av KE as O
Original post by swinroy
The main principle to grasp is that the Average KE of a gas is solely dependant on its temperature.
Because N is lighter than Ox, the N travel at higher speeds in order to achieve the same Av KE as O

Thank you
Original post by swinroy

But the answer is D
Reply 4
But the answer is D

Yes D is correct
Statement 2 is the only correct answer
N molecules travel at greater speeds on average than O molecules at the same temperature
Original post by swinroy
Yes D is correct
Statement 2 is the only correct answer
N molecules travel at greater speeds on average than O molecules at the same temperature

But didn’t u say they will have the same ke?
Reply 6
But didn’t u say they will have the same ke?

Yes
But KE = 0.5xmass x speed squared
Different SPEEDS same KE because the different masses compensate
Original post by swinroy
Yes
But KE = 0.5xmass x speed squared
Different SPEEDS same KE because the different masses compensate

Thank u very much

Quick Reply

Latest