blobfish90
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Please mark my 9 marker and give me feedback i have an exam tomorrow and want practice.

To what extent has economic development improved the quality of life in an NEE? (9 marks)

To a small extent the quality of life of people in Nigeria has been improved as a result of economic development.

Nigeria’s life expectancy has increased from 46 in 1990 to 52 in 2013 due to better healthcare being available as a result of economic development. With people living longer and illness being reduced, they are physically able to work and earn a stable income in order to support their families. This also means that more people are able to afford proper housing to live in and less people would be living in poverty and squatter settlements.

Despite this, there is still limited access to services such as safe water and sanitation is still a problem. For example, the % of people with access to sanitation facilities dropped from 37% in 1990 to 28% in 2013. This means that despite healthcare being readily available and improved, disease is still more likely to spread due to poor sanitation conditions.

However, it could be argued that TNCs in Nigeria such as Shell have paid 20 billion dollars in corporation tax in 2013, which the government could utilise to further improve the development of the country and provide Nigerians with a better quality of life. Facilities such as schools have been improved due to increased economic development as demonstrated by the increase in adult literacy rate from 55% in 1991 to 59% in 2015. Increased adult literacy rate means that Nigerians are able to apply for jobs in industries that require more skill such as industrial engineering which pay higher than labour heavy jobs meaning that
Nigerians have a higher disposable income.

It cannot be ignored that TNCs in Nigeria have also inflicted many consequences. For example, shell extracted 30 billion dollars worth of oil from the land of the Ogoni people, which left the Ogoni people living in poor conditions where many life without electricity or running water and see none of the oil profits yet have to live with the polluted lands and water pipe lines that have been a result from oil spills.

Overall, i would say that economic development has improved the quality of lives for Nigerians to a small extent due to a large majority of Nigerians still living without basic human sanitation and needs such as electricity.

Thank you
LaughterIsMyDrug
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, this is a very good answer in my opinion

It's very clear and concisely written, and you have provided a balanced answer to the question as well as various points backed up with evidence and explanations.

I'm not sure on an exact mark to give you but I'd say at least 7 or 8 out of 9.

To improve, the only thing I can think of is to maybe provide some definitions economic development, and quality of life - eg what aspects there are to having a quality of life

Hope this helps!
Good luck on your exam
blobfish90
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by LaughterIsMyDrug)
Hey, this is a very good answer in my opinion

It's very clear and concisely written, and you have provided a balanced answer to the question as well as various points backed up with evidence and explanations.

I'm not sure on an exact mark to give you but I'd say at least 7 or 8 out of 9.

To improve, the only thing I can think of is to maybe provide some definitions economic development, aTnd quality of life - eg what aspects there are to having a quality of life

Hope this helps!
Good luck on your exam
Thank you I will definitely edit my answer then according to this! I have my paper 2 geography mock tomorrow (doing 2019 paper) and honestly regret revising the day before ( i have to revise chemistry today too saying i have an exam for that). So so stressed :/
hasnat614
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,
I made these revision cards and now would like to sell them for a very fair price. They helped me achieve a grade 9 in GCSE Geography.

If you would like to get a better GCSE result for geography, go ahead and buy them by letting your teacher know and put an order through by getting your teacher to email me.
[email protected]

https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/geography-gcse-9-1-revision-cards-12212217

Please also share this to your friends.
I promise that, if used correctly, these would help boost your grade!!
Thanks,
Hasnat.
Last edited by hasnat614; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (188)
58.2%
I don't have everything I need (135)
41.8%

Watched Threads