TimotheeLaurie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I am in year 11 and in my last mock, i got 5 in maths and 6s in triple science. My goal is to get 8s and 9s especially 9s in chem, bio and physics and an 8 in maths plus two 9s in eng lit and eng lang. I am wondering if it is too late to achieve these grades? also i have just started writing up my mind maps for eng lit this month and i have so much to do, is it too late to achieve a 9 in eng lit? im doing merchant of Venice, an inspector calls and a Christmas carol. If anyone is doing the merchant of Venice, please can you send me your own work such as themes and a Christmas carol as well, especially themes. Is 4 months enough to make a difference in my grades??
Tash Hunt22
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I did my exams in summer 2019 and recieved those grades in my mocks also. I did no revision till about 1 week before each exam and crammed the night before(It does work).I came out with all grades above 7, including 3 9s. So I would not worry- Mocks are always harder than the real deal. 4 months is plenty of time to revise
TimotheeLaurie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tash Hunt22)
I did my exams in summer 2019 and recieved those grades in my mocks also. I did no revision till about 1 week before each exam and crammed the night before(It does work).I came out with all grades above 7, including 3 9s. So I would not worry- Mocks are always harder than the real deal. 4 months is plenty of time to revise
What did u get in each subjects in your real gcse if you dont mind me asking?
Tash Hunt22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
English Lang- 7
English Lit-7 (Was never good at English:/)
Math-8
Physics-8
Biology-9
Chemistry-8
Computing-7
Sociology-9
Geography-9
TimotheeLaurie
Rep:
?
English Lang- 7
English Lit-7 (Was never good at English:/)
Math-8
Physics-8
Biology-9
Chemistry-8
Computing-7
Sociology-9
Geography-9
Those grades are soo good!! can you tell me how you got 8s in chem and physics and a 9 in biology and also an 8 in maths? also when did you start doing practice questions and exams?
Tash Hunt22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Maths I was always good at so I just used my knowledge from lessons and winged the rest.
My sciences Freescienceguy was my saviour. Watch all of his videos and make notes. (i just wrote each topic on an A4 sheet)
I also then went and asked my teachers about each of the topics i didnt understand, I would ask about the smallest issue I had.
I also used the website PMT as they had all the specification written out simply and i could tick off what I had been over. Like i said i did this with a week before my exams so I if you start now you will be fine
TimotheeLaurie
Rep:
?
Maths I was always good at so I just used my knowledge from lessons and winged the rest.
My sciences Freescienceguy was my saviour. Watch all of his videos and make notes. (i just wrote each topic on an A4 sheet)
I also then went and asked my teachers about each of the topics i didnt understand, I would ask about the smallest issue I had.
I also used the website PMT as they had all the specification written out simply and i could tick off what I had been over. Like i said i did this with a week before my exams so I if you start now you will be fine
all right.Actually I am thinking of aiming for all 9s but I dont think it is possible lol. Also , what exam board did you use for eng lit?
anonymoustony
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
it's not too late. i have always been ****e at english lit and would only get 5/6s max and a 6 in my january mock. i started doing past paper questions and got my first grade 7 like 4 weeks before the exams. my actual gcse grade was a 9. watch mr bruff and any other youtubers. mr buff's poem vids are really good and they are all i used. do past paper questions as much as you can, get your teacher to mark them and give you feedback/advice on going up the next grade. the poem question on one of the aqa specimen papers was the exact same one i got in the exam. another question we did in lesson for romeo and juliet was about the relationship between the nurse and juliet, and in my real exam (2018), the question was about relationships between adults and young people. so, the answer i wrote in lesson and got a 7 in, i wrote in the exam PLUS all the feedback. learn what your examiner is looking for like context and effects on the reader. i honestly did hardly any revision for english besides past papers and they helped a ton and its likely that what you have wrote in any past papers will come up on the exams. the biggest mistake you can make is getting hung up on not having enough time. i made this mistake and ended up putting in minimal effort in fear that my efforts wouldn't pay off and oh I was wrong. i went from 4/5 in jan science mocks to 7/8 in my real exam and that was with minimal revision and in year 13 I still regret it and wish I'd just used any time I had left. I recommend freesciencelessons, primrose kitten etc. also cgp website contain exam revision guides and the questions are really similar to what you get in the exam. just revise efficiently as possible and as best you can.
(Original post by TimotheeLaurie)
I am in year 11 and in my last mock, i got 5 in maths and 6s in triple science. My goal is to get 8s and 9s especially 9s in chem, bio and physics and an 8 in maths plus two 9s in eng lit and eng lang. I am wondering if it is too late to achieve these grades? also i have just started writing up my mind maps for eng lit this month and i have so much to do, is it too late to achieve a 9 in eng lit? im doing merchant of Venice, an inspector calls and a Christmas carol. If anyone is doing the merchant of Venice, please can you send me your own work such as themes and a Christmas carol as well, especially themes. Is 4 months enough to make a difference in my grades??
Last edited by anonymoustony; 8 months ago
TimotheeLaurie
Rep:
?
(Original post by anonymoustony)
it's not too late. i have always been ****e at english lit and would only get 5/6s max and a 6 in my january mock. i started doing past paper questions and got my first grade 7 like 4 weeks before the exams. my actual gcse grade was a 9. watch mr bruff and any other youtubers. mr buff's poem vids are really good and they are all i used. do past paper questions as much as you can, get your teacher to mark them and give you feedback/advice on going up the next grade. the poem question on one of the aqa specimen papers was the exact same one i got in the exam. another question we did in lesson for romeo and juliet was about the relationship between the nurse and juliet, and in my real exam (2018), the question was about relationships between adults and young people. so, the answer i wrote in lesson and got a 7 in, i wrote in the exam PLUS all the feedback. learn what your examiner is looking for like context and effects on the reader. i honestly did hardly any revision for english besides past papers and they helped a ton and its likely that what you have wrote in any past papers will come up on the exams. the biggest mistake you can make is getting hung up on not having enough time. i made this mistake and ended up putting in minimal effort in fear that my efforts wouldn't pay off and oh I was wrong. i went from 4/5 in jan science mocks to 7/8 in my real exam and that was with minimal revision and in year 13 I still regret it and wish I'd just used any time I had left. I recommend freesciencelessons, primrose kitten etc. also cgp website contain exam revision guides and the questions are really similar to what you get in the exam. just revise efficiently as possible and as best you can.
Thank you for your answer! I’m doing Eduqas exam board! Do you know anything about the merchant of Venice?
TimotheeLaurie
Rep:
?
Also what do you mean by getting hung up on not having enough time?
anonymoustony
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Thank you for your answer! I’m doing Eduqas exam board! Do you know anything about the merchant of Venice?
sorry, I don’t. I was on aqa. if you type in ‘cgp merchant of Venice’ into google they seem to have a couple of revision guides and question guides. I used these for the texts that I was doing (Romeo and Juliet, christmas carol and blood brothers). Also type in ‘merchant of Venice gcse’ onto YouTube and a couple of analysis videos come up. Good luck
Tash Hunt22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I did edexcel for english:\
anonymoustony
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Also what do you mean by getting hung up on not having enough time?
what I mean is don’t worry or waste time wondering whether you have enough time to revise
TimotheeLaurie
Rep:
?
(Original post by anonymoustony)
what I mean is don’t worry or waste time wondering whether you have enough time to revise
Alright
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (25)
20.49%
No (97)
79.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed