Could an English lit expert please clarify this for me!!!???

Watch
Lemonsandlemons
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Could someone be so kind to finally tell me what the difference is between 'deep analysis' and 'evaluation' of an English Literature text?
I still can't get my head around what truly the difference is!! I think it is also the difference between an A and A* too...
Foreverneek
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I think the difference is very small.

For example, I teach 'evaluation' as an ability to form a judgement or have an opinion. Being able to rank the significance of particular points and being able to say why one interpretation is more valid than another is an important part of evaluation. Evaluation is important in AQA Language paper one question four which is focussed on constructing an argument based on an investigation of points for and against a statement. It is important to note that evaluation requires analysis of evidence for the judgement to be rational.

A singular analytical paragraph does involve some evaluation in terms of constructing points, determining meaning in a text, and considering what the writer's message may be. However, this evaluation is less explicit than if responding to a question that specifically asks the extent to which you agree or disagree with a given statement.
Last edited by Foreverneek; 10 months ago
esralled
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Basically what was said above. Evaluation is more generalised than deep analysis.

If you're evaluating, say, post-colonialism in literature, you can evaluate - or "sum-up" - the common themes, how races are presented, the power-dynamics between characters and stuff like that. If you want to do a deep analysis, you would look into the gender of the author, whether they would be a character with more power than another if they were in the novel, whether they were born and grew up in a post-colonial society, if they or their family benefited from post-colonialism, the attitudes of readers at the time of publication in comparison to a contemporary reader's attitude (if it's an older work, like the Bronte sisters), things outside of the text that influence the text directly or indirectly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (626)
33.66%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (784)
42.15%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (367)
19.73%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (83)
4.46%

Watched Threads