mai.to
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I recently got my mock results back and it's mainly 5's and 6's, which isn't bad but I've been aiming for 7/8/9's etc, especially in Maths, Chem, Bio, English, and Psych. I need some tips on how to get higher grades, please anything will help.
Last edited by mai.to; 10 months ago
anAACS
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
For maths use Hegarty maths, once you understand how to do it do exam questions from maths genie, if you don't have access to Hegarty use uk maths teacher he is really good.
Sciences- I mainly use Seneca, free science lessons and cgp.
English I don't really know myself, currently I'm on a gram 6 however I really wanna get a 9 if I'm gonna be honest , u can try Mr sales, however I fell asleep in the first 3 mins so yeah..
Abi-S01
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
hii im in year 13 and was in a similar situation as you. My GCSE mocks: 1 9, 2 7's,4 6's, 2 5's, and 1 B. In my actual GCSE's I got 6 9's, 2 8's, 1 7, 1 A* (+2A's from year 10). Heres what I did for each of my subjects.
Maths- Did review q's from book then did papers whenever i got a q wrong i'd do the whole exercise from the book. (except for silly mistakes)
English lit- memorise quotes and practice thinking out of the box plus read online interpretations and always try and take it further by adding your own idea to it.
English Lang- Didn't really prepare for this i guess you should practice writing and give it to a teacher to mark. (I was really bad at it but got lucky with my examiner so i got a 8 whereas in my lit i got unlucky with one of my papers got 95% in one and 50% in the other so missed a 8 by 1 mark)
Sciences- Make notes from textbook and understand content. Although i didn't do extra papers i recommend you do a couple of q's to find your weak topics.
Geog- Made notes on all my casestudy plus any useful facts I could find plus did as many q's i could find. (Loads of repeats just worded differently)
History- Made loads of notes on every topic (around 3-4 sides per paper). Memorised all of it and then used it by using the structure the teachers recommend.
Language (German) - memorise speaking q's which helped with writing , kinda winged my reading writing and they pulled my grade down to a 8 (by 3 marks:mad:) so i defo recommend you go over vocab for your language and practice translations.
Economics- Did all the practice q's i could find. the oldest one was probs 2008 or so.
If you're anything like me you'll probs gonna say I have to get down to work and but end up procrastinating. I planned to start in march but only started note taking for most subjects in april/may. This was partly because i already did most my maths prep and all my science notes the year before so all that was left for them was memorising it all.
I'm in the process of applying to uni rn and all I can say GCSE's dont really matter unless you perform really badly and you need a 5 or higher in english lang. But if you don't do well you'll defo regret it, i still regret that I didn't put the extra effort into my german and english lit
Hopefully you'll start preparing now that way you can get the 9's that i missed.
mai.to
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by Abi-S01)
hii im in year 13 and was in a similar situation as you. My GCSE mocks: 1 9, 2 7's,4 6's, 2 5's, and 1 B. In my actual GCSE's I got 6 9's, 2 8's, 1 7, 1 A* (+2A's from year 10). Heres what I did for each of my subjects.
Maths- Did review q's from book then did papers whenever i got a q wrong i'd do the whole exercise from the book. (except for silly mistakes)
English lit- memorise quotes and practice thinking out of the box plus read online interpretations and always try and take it further by adding your own idea to it.
English Lang- Didn't really prepare for this i guess you should practice writing and give it to a teacher to mark. (I was really bad at it but got lucky with my examiner so i got a 8 whereas in my lit i got unlucky with one of my papers got 95% in one and 50% in the other so missed a 8 by 1 mark)
Sciences- Make notes from textbook and understand content. Although i didn't do extra papers i recommend you do a couple of q's to find your weak topics.
Geog- Made notes on all my casestudy plus any useful facts I could find plus did as many q's i could find. (Loads of repeats just worded differently)
History- Made loads of notes on every topic (around 3-4 sides per paper). Memorised all of it and then used it by using the structure the teachers recommend.
Language (German) - memorise speaking q's which helped with writing , kinda winged my reading writing and they pulled my grade down to a 8 (by 3 marks:mad:) so i defo recommend you go over vocab for your language and practice translations.
Economics- Did all the practice q's i could find. the oldest one was probs 2008 or so.
If you're anything like me you'll probs gonna say I have to get down to work and but end up procrastinating. I planned to start in march but only started note taking for most subjects in april/may. This was partly because i already did most my maths prep and all my science notes the year before so all that was left for them was memorising it all.
I'm in the process of applying to uni rn and all I can say GCSE's dont really matter unless you perform really badly and you need a 5 or higher in english lang. But if you don't do well you'll defo regret it, i still regret that I didn't put the extra effort into my german and english lit
Hopefully you'll start preparing now that way you can get the 9's that i missed.
thank you! I've decided to start preparing now, but not too much so I get 'burnt out'. I have awful memory and get so distracted and have very high high's and very low low's and it really affects my school performance, I procrastinate until last minute and it sucks I found flashcards really help and I only have motivation to revise subjects I like which isn't too helpful haha. However, I want to go to medical school and almost all of them look at your GCSE results and at my school you must get a 6 but ideally a 7 in the subjects you want to do at A-level. So I really, need to get my head down and find a way to work through my procrastination and what not :/ thank you so much for your advice!! Good luck on the uni applications
Abi-S01
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by mai.to)
thank you! I've decided to start preparing now, but not too much so I get 'burnt out'. I have awful memory and get so distracted and have very high high's and very low low's and it really affects my school performance, I procrastinate until last minute and it sucks I found flashcards really help and I only have motivation to revise subjects I like which isn't too helpful haha. However, I want to go to medical school and almost all of them look at your GCSE results and at my school you must get a 6 but ideally a 7 in the subjects you want to do at A-level. So I really, need to get my head down and find a way to work through my procrastination and what not :/ thank you so much for your advice!! Good luck on the uni applications
thanks hopefully you get the grades you're hoping for. Also i recommend you try to get work experience over the holidays (if you're 16), i was planning to do med since the was the start of secondary school but ended up changing my mind after work experience in year 11 but i know loads of people who enjoyed theirs so it depends on where you do it. Try and send out a couple of cv's when you get time. If you can't find any just pm me and i'll find out a couple of places where my friends did theirs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads