The Student Room Group

Chemistry Olympiad 2020

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GreenCub
I got 60/86. I'm hoping it won't go down in moderation. Might I have a shot at round 2?

Yh that should do it, well done BTW
Original post by aashan21
I got 19, what will that be in terms of a certificate?

Probably a bronze
I got 19, what will that be in terms of a certificate?

We don't know the grade boundaries yet, but there's a good chance that 19 might just about scrape a bronze.
Estimated for boundaries?
Original post by thekidwhogames
Estimated for boundaries?

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say 38 for gold. Could be way off though.
What were last years boundaries?
What were last years boundaries?

Last year's were 11/80 bronze, 17/80 silver and 28/80 gold. It was the hardest ever paper though so boundaries were particularly low.
Original post by Chemistreee
Someone got 74/86 in L6th

How do you know?
How do you know?

Presumably someone at their school or someone they know got it? Even if that is the case, 74/86 would be an extreme outlier and won't need to be taken into account when evaluating boundaries.

I'm still worried that 60 is too low for round 2...
Original post by GreenCub
Presumably someone at their school or someone they know got it? Even if that is the case, 74/86 would be an extreme outlier and won't need to be taken into account when evaluating boundaries.

I'm still worried that 60 is too low for round 2...

Don't be! I'm fairly sure 60 would get you into round r2. That is such an amazing score! 60/86 > 50/80 which it was last year.
Don't be! I'm fairly sure 60 would get you into round r2. That is such an amazing score! 60/86 > 50/80 which it was last year.

I had a look at some of the mark distributions for older papers (2018 and back) in the examiners' reports and a score like that would only barely scrape round 2 in most years assuming that they take the top 30 (though it's hard to be 100% sure as the tiny bars are difficult to read and you can't tell whether a bar is 2 or 3 people for example). Also there's the possibility that it could be moderated down.
He's in my class, he also got rg last year in C3L6 when he did it in yr 11.

By any chance has he already sat some a levels?
He's in my class, he also got rg last year in C3L6 when he did it in yr 11.

Now that's pretty terrifying. I remember looking at C3L6 papers in years 10-11 and managed to get a gold in a past paper in year 11 but am pretty sure my school would never actually enter year 11s.

I'm going to guess that he's going to apply to Cambridge natsci?
There's a L6 guy in my school who has a mark of 84/86 (98% !!!!)...unheard of ever!!!He got Rg last year in Y5
Original post by Moonfever
There's a L6 guy in my school who has a mark of 84/86 (98% !!!!)...unheard of ever!!!He got Rg last year in Y5

I meant Y11
Reply 95
I meant Y11

Can't wait for him to be referenced in the report for this year's Olympiad.
Heah's in my class, he also got rg last year in C3L6 when he did it in yr 11.

egg
(edited 4 years ago)

egg
(edited 4 years ago)
I'm not in his set but what I know of him is that he's a good guy; no inflated egos unlike some here.
egg
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest