Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone have them?

How have you dealt with them, can you describe what you go through?

ReputationRep:
    I have petit Mal (absent) seizures, I dont even notice im having mine- the world just seems a bit slow- hard to put into words. If people are talking to me I wont respond, just sit there looking into nothing, mine last for no more than 15 seconds though.

15? Mine lasts for less, I take medication to control it, is your seizures under control?

ReputationRep:
    Out of curiosity, are you still thinking and conscious with one of those seizures?

But yes I have the same experience, I can't do anything, until I suddenly become aware and I don't remember clearly but understand I had a seizure.

Over time I have learnt to control it more by myself, its hard as hell.

ReputationRep:
    I think I am, but sort of dreaming? thoughts are very slow. Imagine in cartoons when people are submerged in water, or stiffled by snow.

Really hard to explain.

(Original post by JocastaJackal)
    Out of curiosity, are you still thinking and conscious with one of those seizures?
    Thinking- I presume so
    Conscious- yes, I hope so.

(Original post by trefusis128)
    I think I am, but sort of dreaming? thoughts are very slow. Imagine in cartoons when people are submerged in water, or stiffled by snow.

Really hard to explain.
    Exactly.
    I thought it was rare and I was alone.

Its generally a disorder of the brain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trefusis128)

Really hard to explain.
    That's weird. I was just wondering as I got (I think misdiagnosed) with epilepsy when I was younger due to having a lot of seizures and I still occasionally get something a bit like that, I don't think that sounds exactly like it though.

That's weird. I was just wondering as I got (I think misdiagnosed) with epilepsy when I was younger due to having a lot of seizures and I still occasionally get something a bit like that, I don't think that sounds exactly like it though.
    There is such thing as mild epilepsy, which generally is absent seizures.

When its serious its fits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    There is such thing as mild epilepsy, which generally is absent seizures.

When its serious its fits.
    Yeah, I don't really know a lot about it. I just remember having a few serious seizures and getting a lot of tests and diagnosed with epilepsy. Kinda stopped when I was about ten. I still get a thing where I sort of snap out of it and I won't respond even if people are calling to me, because I just won't hear it at all. I don't think I'm even thinking anything at the time, but that just might be some weird quirk I have. :P

Yeah, I don't really know a lot about it. I just remember having a few serious seizures and getting a lot of tests and diagnosed with epilepsy. Kinda stopped when I was about ten. I still get a thing where I sort of snap out of it and I won't respond even if people are calling to me, because I just won't hear it at all. I don't think I'm even thinking anything at the time, but that just might be some weird quirk I have. :P
    Thats what I feel, I can't snap out of it.

If you havn't seek medical advice.

I think 'seizures' has links to depression and mood too.

ReputationRep:
    Thats what I feel, I can't snap out of it.

If you havn't seek medical advice.
    Hmm maybe, I tend to only get it in situations where I'm with two or more people though which makes me think it's nothing biological. If I'm interacting with just one person they keep me engaged and it doesn't happen, but I have to be constantly interacting for that.

Hmm maybe, I tend to only get it in situations where I'm with two or more people though which makes me think it's nothing biological. If I'm interacting with just one person they keep me engaged and it doesn't happen, but I have to be constantly interacting for that.
    Again, spot on.

I think it affected my exam results, seizures.

I think getting distracted allows me to go into that state, sometimes annoyance, tiredness its all sorts of things.

Medically its when a nerve gets trapped by the brain, I feel that only too well.

Like losing focus, when this happens I just try and shake it off.

ReputationRep:
    Again, spot on.

I think it affected my exam results, seizures.

I think getting distracted allows me to go into that state, sometimes annoyance, tiredness its all sorts of things.

Medically its when a nerve gets trapped by the brain, I feel that only too well.

Like losing focus, when this happens I just try and shake it off.
    Yeah I get exactly the same thing... I don't tend to get it so much in exams because I'm constantly thinking and focussing. I get it when I'm annoyed a lot, which is why I go quiet, but it's not so much that I'm being quiet because I don't want to talk to people, it's because I'm totally elsewhere and can't seem to focus on anything around me. I never really thought it was anything though but it's interesting to know other people get the same thing.

Yeah I get exactly the same thing... I don't tend to get it so much in exams because I'm constantly thinking and focussing. I get it when I'm annoyed a lot, which is why I go quiet, but it's not so much that I'm being quiet because I don't want to talk to people, it's because I'm totally elsewhere and can't seem to focus on anything around me. I never really thought it was anything though but it's interesting to know other people get the same thing.
    When I was younger my teacher asked me why I was 'day dreaming', I told her I don't know and got disciplined for it.

Anyway, to cut it short, it is a problem and if left untreated it gets worse.
    I wan't to finish this problem so I can have a normal life.

ReputationRep:
    When I was younger my teacher asked me why I was 'day dreaming', I told her I don't know and got disciplined for it.

Anyway, to cut it short, it is a problem and if left untreated it gets worse.
    I wan't to finish this problem so I can have a normal life.
    That also rings a bell, strange. I only get it really mildly but I may look into it after all, maybe I wasn't misdiagnosed and it just got milder. I know stress doesn't help at all though which I've been getting a lot lately. Do you know if there's any hope for curing it for yourself?

That also rings a bell, strange. I only get it really mildly but I may look into it after all, maybe I wasn't misdiagnosed and it just got milder. I know stress doesn't help at all though which I've been getting a lot lately. Do you know if there's any hope for curing it for yourself?
    Yes stress is a factor.

I'm increasing my medication which is a possible next step, I have been advised to and it seems I have no other choice.

I think I am going to do it. Hopefully I'll see results.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.