Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm currently studying Electronic Engineering (about to start my 3rd year for a BEng). It's probably the most boring thing I could have done with my life, and without a doubt the most boring thing I have done in my life. Medicine was always on my mind, and now I'm sure that it's where I want to go.

I did the IB in Germany. The teachers there (all the ones I asked) all said that Physics and Chemistry was the way to go, rather than Biology + Chem. We couldn't do all 3 because it was a small school, and scheduling meant Physics and Bio were at the same time. So I did Physics and Chem at HL, got a 7 for Physics and a 5 for Chem (which I wanted remarked. The entire class got 5s. Even the kids who giggled every time 'drugs' were mentioned in the Med&Drug option. And I had 7s throughout both years, but enough about that).

So I want to get in to medicine, and so probably need to do some kind of conversion course. Here are my grades:

Current degree: On track for high 2.1. Possibly a 1.1 if I can feel motivated
    IB: 38 points. Chem [5], Phys [7], English A1 (HL), and Maths [6], German, History (SL). Did EE in History with A*.
    GCSE: Science Double Award [A]
    Very good at problem solving/diagnostics.

Any advice? KCL stopped their conversion course for 2009 entry by the looks of it. I'd love to get in on what I have right now (in London if at all possible), but without Bio, I doubt it'll happen.

I was going to do Biology at IB, but our previous teacher was a marine biologist, who kept going on about plants all day and was afraid of dissections. And I was sure to get a good grade in Physics.

ReputationRep:
    afraid of dissections but want to do medicine :-S regardless of that look at the uni sites for GEP if not Elec Eng is still very good although not the eng ill pick if i dont get into med school which i wont lol

ReputationRep:
    Barts don't require biology at the IB and are in London.

EDIT: that chem is an issue:

International Baccalaureate
    You should achieve an overall score of 36 points with grades 665 at Higher Level. A score of 6 must be achieved in Chemistry or Biology and you must have two science subjects at Higher Level overall. English should be offered at either Higher or Subsidiary level.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not the one afraid of dissections - I said my old Bio teacher was, which is part of the reason I didn't pursue it.

That Chem grade might be an issue. That said, I have a higher overall score than they want, a 7 in physics, and (by the time I apply) a good engineering degree, which in my mind should at least balance that single point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vj69)
    afraid of dissections but want to do medicine :-S
    There's a small handful of schools where you have to do dissection, avoiding them is relatively easy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    There's a small handful of schools where you have to do dissection, avoiding them is relatively easy...
    I know of UCL... which are the other ones?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousPenguin)
    I know of UCL... which are the other ones?
    Imperial, Cardiff, Leeds, Notts, GKT, Ca.m..

ReputationRep:
    I'm at UCL right now. If I get a good degree from here (say a 1st), will that improve my chances of getting in to the UCL medical school?

They have an excellent medical department. I'd be very happy indeed if I got in here.

ReputationRep:
    I just did IB
    I chose HL: Maths, Chem, Physics and SL: Eng, French and Business
    I had offers from Sheffield and Manchester even though i never did biology. I also wanted to sit all 3 sciences but it was not possible.
    I think that your 7 in Physics shows a strong ability. A higher grade at Chem would have been better but i don't think it will hurt that much. I think you should apply for some GEP programmes after your BEng and see how it goes
    All the best!

ReputationRep:
    GEPs are the way to go
    Newcastle
    Barts
    Kings
    Notts
    St.georoges
    Cambridge
    Swansea
    Southampton

You need to take the UKCAT/GAMSAT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KarlW)
    I'm at UCL right now. If I get a good degree from here (say a 1st), will that improve my chances of getting in to the UCL medical school?

They have an excellent medical department. I'd be very happy indeed if I got in here.
    Yes. RFUCMS like their own graduates. Have a sit down with Dr Cross before you apply (it will massively increase your chances).

ReputationRep:
    That's Dr Brenda A Cross, right? (Life Sciences Faculty Office).

I've emailed her. Fingers crossed...

ReputationRep:
    You could apply to Peninsula (though no dissection and it's PBL) with your IB grades. However, considering you will have a degree I don't see why you would need to do a conversion course...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KarlW)
    That's Dr Brenda A Cross, right? (Life Sciences Faculty Office).

I've emailed her. Fingers crossed...
    Indeed - good luck. Let us know how it goes.

(Haha Viel Glück, und so weit ich weiß, ist IB viel schwieriger als A levels. :yep:)

ReputationRep:
    ^Haha I'm sure that's a matter of opinion...:p:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the tip about Peninsula. I love living in London, but I'll keep that for a backup. It appeases my fear of being disqualified from everyone and being forced in to an engineering job.

I went through some of the BMAT papers. Seems pretty easy. I'm very quick at maths and there seem to be more physics based questions in S2 than any others. Doing both the BMAT and UKCAT is a bit of a pain, though.

ReputationRep:
    Don't say backup! There's a lot more to the Peninsula application than academic qualifications, and you may piss off people here by saying that.

UKCAT isn't too bad tbh, seeing as you're good at maths you'll probably have no problem. BMAT looks like bit of a shocker though.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, didn't mean to offend - my point was that I'd really prefer to be in London, and anything outside would be a backup.

I've spoken to someone from Medical Admissions at UCL, and it was a little confusing, but I think they've advised me to do a AS Biology. This third year of my course shouldn't be hard, anyway - largely individual project work (meaning I can schedule it when I like). I think I could do them in parallel, especially since I've already been studying the course material in my spare time.

Thing is - I know for IB Chemistry you need to do the lab work. You can't just take the exam, because the lab material is a large part of the grade. Same for Physics, and I'd imagine Biology is no different. Is the A(S)-Level the same? Or does only the exam grade count?

I was thinking about asking a local school if I can take AS Biology with them. Just come to those classes, and take that exam. If they say no, I can study it by myself, and find somewhere to take the exam. I never did A-levels, I'm not sure how the system works here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KarlW)
    Thanks for the tip about Peninsula. I love living in London, but I'll keep that for a backup. It appeases my fear of being disqualified from everyone and being forced in to an engineering job.

I went through some of the BMAT papers. Seems pretty easy. I'm very quick at maths and there seem to be more physics based questions in S2 than any others. Doing both the BMAT and UKCAT is a bit of a pain, though.
    As far as I'm aware, there are no BMAT past papers available, only practice questions. All the practice questions I did were far easier than the real exam (including those in the official book), so don't be lulled into a false sense of security!

Regarding AS Biology: I believe you would be regarded as a 'private candidate' and some colleges and exam boards will have special provision for these (e.g. no coursework options etc). I would take your query to the A-Level board on TSR - people there would probably be able to give you much more detailed information.

Good luck with applying!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 21, 2008

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.