jazmineb.xo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
The question is
How is fate explored in the play Romeo and Juliet?
30 marks and 4 spag
we have a mock next week and i want to get the best mark
this is just the start of it but can someone please read through it and let me know if i could improve anything thank you

Fate is explored in the play Romeo and Juliet through many ways. For example in the prologue we are shown this predestined fate, which is shown further through 'death mark'd lovers' This implies that the love between Romeo and Juliet was always going to be poisonous love. The language of 'death mark'd' lingers this nonchalance tone. As well we already know in the Shakespearean time that it was believed that fate was set in the stone and when you try and go against fate no matter what. Fate was your guidance of your future. Shakespeare's intentions of this was to counteract how the beliefs of fate was always meant to be. The whole purpose of the theme of fate was that Shakespeare, himself wanted to show the audience this idea that the future of Romeo and Juliet will always be played out by fate.

As the play continues we are opened up to a more wider aspect of fate. We see this when Juliet says to her mother 'Go ask his name: if he be married my grave is like to be my wedding bed'. It is as she is saying that if she cannot marry Romeo then she would be dead. Shakespeare uses this profound statement from Juliet to link back to the theme of fate and show at this point how desperate Juliet is to be with Romeo. And this quote 'death mark'd lovers' is constantly woven through the play, suggests that no matter how hard they loved or the depths they went for one another, that fate will always follow, If we zoom in to the single point of ' my grave is like to be my wedding bed' we see this technique that Juliet saying this, is her foreshadowing her own death, she knew the consequences of falling in love with a Montague. So at this point Juliet is overhung by this defying and objecting fate as a typical 'Shakespearean' .
Zarin_176
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You’ve done very well so far. Keep doing what your doing. Make sure you keep referring to the question. (Which your doing anyways) good luck for your mocks
Make sure your specifying what technique it is so for eg Shakespeare uses metaphor in ‘insert quote’
Last edited by Zarin_176; 1 year ago
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Zarin_176)
You’ve done very well so far. Keep doing what your doing. Make sure you keep referring to the question. (Which your doing anyways) good luck for your mocks
Make sure your specifying what technique it is so for eg Shakespeare uses the metaphor in ‘insert quote’
Are you sure that's the right homophone you've used there?
Zarin_176
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tolgarda)
Are you sure that's the right homophone you've used there?
Yes. ‘Insert quote’ means getting a quote form the text. For example loving hate
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Zarin_176)
Yes. ‘Insert quote’ means getting a quote form the text. For example loving hate
What? That wasn't what I was referring to.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (115)
40.35%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (31)
10.88%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (22)
7.72%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (65)
22.81%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (33)
11.58%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
6.67%

Watched Threads