Turn on thread page Beta

Can never sleep past 4am. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I can get to sleep easily enough, but I can always guarantee that I will not sleep past 4am, regardless of how tired I am the previous night. Obviously, this is affecting me, and in the daytime I'm constantly tired, not to mention the black bags under my eyes.

Question, without sleeping pills, is there anything I can do to get myself into a deeper sleep and not wake up at 4am?

ReputationRep:
    Train your body to sleep by listening to calming music and drinking something like horlicks I was like this for ages but that helped me.

ReputationRep:
    That is weird. Wikipedia says that early morning waking like that is associated with clinical depression, so you don't have that do you?

I wish I could help you more, but I'm trying to find a solution for insomnia myself. Maybe you could change your eating habits i.e. eat earlier in the evening? I find that makes me more tired when I haven't eaten for a bit. Or try getting into a cycle where you get up earlier which would make you more tired when you go to bed.

Also I think the temperature in a room makes a lot of difference, try keeping the windows open so it stays cool, that usually helps you to stay asleep.

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea what I can link it to, I'm not depressed and I go to bed most usually around midnight, so this shouldn't be happening.

Thanks for the replies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jean_Paul)
    I have no idea what I can link it to, I'm not depressed and I go to bed most usually around midnight, so this shouldn't be happening.

Thanks for the replies.
    If it keeps happening and there's honestly nothing you can do then see your doctor, because I heard insomnia can be caused by an underlying health condition.

I should really take my own advice for that, but waiting to move to Uni to see if mine's purely environmental.

ReputationRep:
    Go to bed before midnight you plum! No wonder your always knackered!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JocastaJackal)
    If it keeps happening and there's honestly nothing you can do then see your doctor, because I heard insomnia can be caused by an underlying health condition.

I should really take my own advice for that, but waiting to move to Uni to see if mine's purely environmental.
    Thanks, I shall do if it doesn't get better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmska)
    I went to bed at 1-2am on most school nights, no wonder I was totally shattered every day... :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JocastaJackal)
    I went to bed at 1-2am on most school nights, no wonder I was totally shattered every day... :P
    Hahaha I can't lecture really.. I got home at half 1 last night :p:

ReputationRep:
    But you'd think that'd make me more tired and more able to sleep past 4am :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha I can't lecture really.. I got home at half 1 last night :p:
    I totally empathise. I can't live at any time but at night, it's tragic, haha.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you wake up before REM.. Sleeping earlier should actually help you sleep longer :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I just noticed how ironic posting this thread is at this time, because you're just going to get replies from other insomniacs who haven't found the answer either :P haha.

Honestly though I totally sympathise, it's awful and I know what it's like to be dropping dead from tiredness in the morning.

ReputationRep:
    How long has this been going on for?
    Does that mean you're getting just 4 hours a night?
    During the day, do you work, or do anything (or just lunging aroudn in the holz?)?
    Oh, and do you get any exercise?

It's pretty common for teens to get this, especially when there's high stress like over the exam period. If that's about when it kicked off, maybe you've just got yourself in a bad routine. Or if you're stressed about results ir something, it could be that.

If your doing nothing in the day apart from TV and computer, you're bound to not beable to get to sleep. Both your body and mind need to be tired to get to sleep and doing nothing doesn't get that. Even if you are working, not regualrly exercising could be a problem. Try maybe taking a walk in the eveing for an hour or even just a half.

Also, if you take naps in the day, cut that out. I'd maybe try a routine of havign a bath at about 10PM, trying to get to bed at 11ish. If you still wake up at 4 and can't get back to sleep, just power trhough the day. You'll feel awful for a few days but should get back into a good routine.

I also would try forcing yoruself to sleep in the night if you wake up. You'll just amke yourself anxious and you'll then be unlikely to nod off. Read a book or something and try again when you get tired if there's time.

If nothing helps, see your doctor.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.