The Student Room Group

LLM Human Rights Law

Hello,
I received a Conditional offer to study LLM Human Rights Law at one of the five universities I have applied to today, which I sent off just before Christmas.

I was just wondering if anyone else has received any offers for this course, or has studied this niche legal field before?
What uni did you apply for? I’m into Human Rights Law, but like the only uni that has that course was Essex and I didn’t want to go there. So I'm doing law at uni of Leeds now- so annoying not many unis do Human Rights law undergrad
Reply 2
I have applied for 5; Reading, York, Bristol, Nottingham and Leicester.
I received my offer from Reading today.
Just type in Human Rights Law UK universities and a whole list of options should come up.

Leeds does do a Human Rights LLM, I had a look whilst I was browsing through the universities.
Original post by LS1998
I have applied for 5; Reading, York, Bristol, Nottingham and Leicester.
I received my offer from Reading today.
Just type in Human Rights Law UK universities and a whole list of options should come up.

Leeds does do a Human Rights LLM, I had a look whilst I was browsing through the universities.

Human Rights LLM are post grad, I’m not a post grade student therefore I couldn’t do it so I’m doing LLB then hopefully will go into LLM if I wanna do masters
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Missdimples
What uni did you apply for? I’m into Human Rights Law, but like the only uni that has that course was Essex and I didn’t want to go there. So I'm doing law at uni of Leeds now- so annoying not many unis do Human Rights law undergrad

You're not saying Essex is the only uni with human rights as an optional module, right? It's offered everywhere.

At Lancaster if you take specific modules in 2nd and 3rd year (pathway) then you'll finish with a named degree. One of them is 'LLB Law (Human Rights Law).
Reply 5
That’s my mistake, I apologise.
Most universities allow you to “pathway” your studies though. This year for example, I’m taking an International Human Rights module, which relates to the LLM I have signed up for this upcoming year post graduation.
Most law programmes give you the core modules first as you have to do them to qualify as a solicitor or barrister.

Original post by Missdimples
Human Rights LLM are post grad, I’m not a post grade student therefore I couldn’t do it so I’m doing LLB then hopefully will go into LLM if I wanna do masters
Original post by sly_southafrican
You're not saying Essex is the only uni with human rights as an optional module, right? It's offered everywhere.

At Lancaster if you take specific modules in 2nd and 3rd year (pathway) then you'll finish with a named degree. One of them is 'LLB Law (Human Rights Law).

No I’m not taking about it being an optional module. I’m talking about a whole degree.

I’m fully aware it’s offered everywhere.
Original post by LS1998
That’s my mistake, I apologise.
Most universities allow you to “pathway” your studies though. This year for example, I’m taking an International Human Rights module, which relates to the LLM I have signed up for this upcoming year post graduation.
Most law programmes give you the core modules first as you have to do them to qualify as a solicitor or barrister.

It’s fine sorry if I was not clear, and yeah I know I guess it makes sense it’s just annoying cause I’m not into the like property law yet will have to study it lol
Original post by LS1998
Hello,
I received a Conditional offer to study LLM Human Rights Law at one of the five universities I have applied to today, which I sent off just before Christmas.

I was just wondering if anyone else has received any offers for this course, or has studied this niche legal field before?

Which University did you receive your offer from? I'm currently on my year abroad (LLB With French Law) but am looking to apply to York for their International Human Rights LLM next year. Any insight on the application process would be great!
Reply 9
I’ve applied to York, Nottingham, Reading, Leicester and Bristol.
I have received my conditional from Reading, the others I am yet to hear back from as it hasn’t reached the 21 day turn around yet.

It’s a different application to each university, not like a UCAS application. Every document is sent directly to whichever university you apply to.
I’m assuming you used UCAS for your LLB?

It’s a similar process- academic details, work experience, personal statement etc.
Each university I have applied to has a different mechanism of law outside of the course, so I encourage you to research what York has particularly (I had an interest in York’s Fellowship Scheme and NGO work for example.
Original post by millierosewells
Which University did you receive your offer from? I'm currently on my year abroad (LLB With French Law) but am looking to apply to York for their International Human Rights LLM next year. Any insight on the application process would be great!

Quick Reply