The Student Room Group

Clearing

Hi, I am currently applying to university for Law, however, I am unsure whether this is the course I want to do having had feedback from others and looking more into the courses. I am interested in doing Accounting but it is, of course, too late to start an application and personal statement for this now with only a week until the deadline.

I am planning on sending my law application off regardless as I am still interested in doing this, however, I was just wondering if I would be able to go through clearing to study Accounting and how this would pan out? Do I have to write a new personal statement for clearing and if I was unsuccessful in clearing, would I be able to go back to my original offers in law (if I get them)?

Many thanks!
Original post by lowrias
Hi, I am currently applying to university for Law, however, I am unsure whether this is the course I want to do having had feedback from others and looking more into the courses. I am interested in doing Accounting but it is, of course, too late to start an application and personal statement for this now with only a week until the deadline.

I am planning on sending my law application off regardless as I am still interested in doing this, however, I was just wondering if I would be able to go through clearing to study Accounting and how this would pan out? Do I have to write a new personal statement for clearing and if I was unsuccessful in clearing, would I be able to go back to my original offers in law (if I get them)?

Many thanks!

Why is it too late? You only need to change your choices and your ps?

It’s easier to swap courses with the same university. If you’re genuinely not sure then ring some universities offering both courses tomorrow and explain that you’re not sure and ask whether they would normally let you swap your application between those courses. Then you can use at least some of your choices for universities that you know are quite flexible and use the next few months to figure out what you want to study.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Why is it too late? You only need to change your choices and your ps?

It’s easier to swap courses with the same university. If you’re genuinely not sure then ring some universities offering both courses tomorrow and explain that you’re not sure and ask whether they would normally let you swap your application between those courses. Then you can use at least some of your choices for universities that you know are quite flexible and use the next few months to figure out what you want to study.

That’s a good idea actually! I’ve sent my application off for law now, would you recommend I call them right away or wait for their response based on my law application?
Reply 3
@PQ I’m not sure if calling them right away would be the best idea as it might affect my application as it is, what do you think ?
Original post by lowrias
@PQ I’m not sure if calling them right away would be the best idea as it might affect my application as it is, what do you think ?

They wont care. If you're sure you want to swap then just ask if it is possible and how it works at each university.
Original post by lowrias

Many thanks!

Hi @lowrias

It is great to hear that you are interested in studying at university.

I would say that you are doing the sensible thing by sending in your application for Law at the moment as you are still interested in potentially studying the subject.

During the Clearing process, you can ring a university to see if there are places available for accounting while you hold a place on a law course. If they offer you a place on the phone you will then release yourself from the law course and apply formally through UCAS for the accounting course.

I hope this clears things up. If you need any more advice please ask.

Dom :h:
Reply 6
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi @lowrias

It is great to hear that you are interested in studying at university.

I would say that you are doing the sensible thing by sending in your application for Law at the moment as you are still interested in potentially studying the subject.

During the Clearing process, you can ring a university to see if there are places available for accounting while you hold a place on a law course. If they offer you a place on the phone you will then release yourself from the law course and apply formally through UCAS for the accounting course.

I hope this clears things up. If you need any more advice please ask.

Dom :h:

Thank-you for your response, I have now applied for Law but think I am leaning more towards Accounting and Finance, do you think it would be worthwhile to ring the universities that I have applied to that offer both courses and see if there’s any chance of swapping course if I get accepted for Law?
Original post by lowrias
Thank-you for your response, I have now applied for Law but think I am leaning more towards Accounting and Finance, do you think it would be worthwhile to ring the universities that I have applied to that offer both courses and see if there’s any chance of swapping course if I get accepted for Law?

Hi @lowrias

That is definitely something that you can do. If you do decide that Accounting and Finance is for you and you prefer a course at a university you haven't applied for you can reject all you offer and apply through UCAS Extra.

If you have any further questions please feel free to get back in touch.

Regards
Dom
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending