Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Good Morning everyone, just a few questions about the wonders of stetch marks.
    Firstly, how do they appear because i have some on my arms and legs so i'm thinking hmm how did you get there? Secondly how do you get them to go away or to be less noticable?
    thankyou for any help possible

Sudden weight gain/loss, hormonal disbalance, kidney dysfunction might cause them as far as I know.

They don't go away, but fade over time.

Hope you're ok

ReputationRep:
    They usually come about by weight loss or weight gain.
    Palmers coco butter can reduce the appearance, as can bio-oil

ReputationRep:
    Vitamin E oils nd stuff help reduce the appearance i think, but they also help prevent them.

Stretch marks just occur when the body grows too quick for the skin i suppose. Whether that be muscle or fat or a baby. They do fade thou

ReputationRep:
    ooo speedy replies thankyou everyone, i have lost alot of weight so thats probably why, thankyou again

ReputationRep:
    I <3 my stretch marks, they look like tribal paintings.

(Original post by wanderlust.xx)
    I <3 my stretch marks, they look like tribal paintings.
    Now THAT'S an attitude :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Just put loooads of moisturizer on, Bio Oil is just SO expensive and I don't even think it worked that much better than cocoa butter for me!

ReputationRep:
    Were you watching How To Look Good Naked last night on E4?

Gok was talking about stretch marks...he recommended body foundation/concealer to help hide them for special occasions and stuff.

Mine are white...is this normal?! Lol! I've got sort of tanned skin...but I thought most stretch marks were pinky/red?

ReputationRep:
    Weight gain or loss-although saying that, I have loaaaaads and have never had drastic weight loss/gain; sometimes it's in your genes to be prone to them as my family have tons, yet we are all skinny. You need to make sure your skin is well moisturised so it has lots of elasticity. Just make sure you use cocoa butter/vitamin e cream if you know you'll be gaining/losing weight or exercising more than usual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stace-is-Ace)

Gok was talking about stretch marks...he recommended body foundation/concealer to help hide them for special occasions and stuff.

Mine are white...is this normal?! Lol! I've got sort of tanned skin...but I thought most stretch marks were pinky/red?
    My stretch marks are reddy-purple. Arg, I've been this weight for ages, so I don't know why they appear to be multiplying!

Anyways, OP, apparently general moisturising helps! Other than that, they should fade with time.

ReputationRep:
    I have them on the inside of my legs...I got them when I was about 13 and I grew a lot then so I blame it on that! They're white now and I'm pale anyway so I don't mind them. I don't have them on my stomach which is good though

ReputationRep:
    Mine have nearly all gone white, but whenever i get a reasonably dark natural tan, they turn red again

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all the advice i will try the cocoa butter or moisturiser

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stace-is-Ace)

They're probably o;d ones that have faded. After a while they go silvery/white

OP what I do is buy rescue oil (cheap version of bio oil £1.99 and wilkos) and mix it with baby oil in a spray bottle and spray it all over after a bath or shower, maggaging it into my stretch marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DamnitJanet)
    My stretch marks are reddy-purple. Arg, I've been this weight for ages, so I don't know why they appear to be multiplying!
    Me too! Mine a pretty red and there seems to be a new one everytime I look!

Kinda got used to them now though.

They make me look like a zebra

ReputationRep:
    I hate stretch marks. I have 3 huge ones across my back from when I was 17 and grew 3 inches in like 2 months.

They have faded quite a bit now but they are still noticeable somewhat. You need to just live with them.

ReputationRep:
    Mine are silvery-white now... weird thing is I don't even remember them being anything but! Guess I kinda got off easy

Just have them on hips/boobs :>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steffiewoo)
    They usually come about by weight loss or weight gain.
    Palmers coco butter can reduce the appearance, as can bio-oil
    yep use that, it definitely helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obsession)
    Sudden weight gain/loss, hormonal disbalance, kidney dysfunction might cause them as far as I know.

They don't go away, but fade over time.

Hope you're ok
    just wondering how did you get the information about it with kidney dysfunction? x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.