The Student Room Group

Septate hymen (I think?!)

Ok, so I think I have a septate hymen and I’m worried sick about it. I discovered I could have one when I inserted a tampon and then tried to remove it but saw a band of skin over the tampon. Eventually I removed it but since then I have explored down there and discovered that there’s two holes. So I’m convinced it’s a septate hymen. Now that I think I have one, I’m too scared to use tampons and I’m so worried about loosing my virginity (even though I don’t have a bf at the moment). After spending hours researching and reading peoples experiences, I have gathered that some people brake there’s in sex and it doesn’t hurt, some brake it themselves and some have had surgery, but some people were told they didn’t need surgery. I’m too embarrassed to even talk to my mum about it, every time I think I’ve plucked up the courage to I just can’t, so I’m also embarrassed to go to the GP as I don’t want to waste their time. Even if I did go, I’ve never had a doctor examine me down there before so I’m worried about that. I would much rather have surgery to remove it pain free than break it and it be painful during something that is meant to be pleasurable. I know that is all pretty jumbled up but if anyone has had any experience similar to this, including the worry about talking to people / going to the GP, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE could you help me and put my mind at rest!
I had this, and I discovered it in a similar way to you. Using tampons was uncomfortable but other than that, it has not caused me any issues. The first time you have sex is never going to be pleasurable and you are really overthinking this, honestly. Having surgery under anaesthetic isn't without risk and will probably cause you pain for longer than just putting up with a couple of seconds of pain when a penis goes inside you (seriously, being intubated is not nice - you will be sore not only down below from the surgery but will have a sore throat for at least a few days). Obviously, if you are worried, see your GP, but they may well say you don't need surgery (I suspect this is only required if the septum is really thick).

If it is causing issues with tampons, it might be worth buying some lube (aqua gel is a super cheap one, but any one that is plain is fine) and putting a small amount of it on the tampon before putting it in. You might even end up breaking you hymen by using tampons.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I had this, and I discovered it in a similar way to you. Using tampons was uncomfortable but other than that, it has not caused me any issues. The first time you have sex is never going to be pleasurable and you are really overthinking this, honestly. Having surgery under anaesthetic isn't without risk and will probably cause you pain for longer than just putting up with a couple of seconds of pain when a penis goes inside you (seriously, being intubated is not nice - you will be sore not only down below from the surgery but will have a sore throat for at least a few days). Obviously, if you are worried, see your GP, but they may well say you don't need surgery (I suspect this is only required if the septum is really thick).

If it is causing issues with tampons, it might be worth buying some lube (aqua gel is a super cheap one, but any one that is plain is fine) and putting a small amount of it on the tampon before putting it in. You might even end up breaking you hymen by using tampons.

Thankyou so much! This has really helped, I just fear the unknown and can’t control my thoughts when I worry about things, I always go to the worst case scenario.

Quick Reply

Latest