Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When you started uni, or during uni, did you find there was tension between those who had gone to uni and those who had stayed at home?

I'm starting uni in october, as are a few of my friends, but most of my friends are either staying close to home, having gap years or simply seeking employment. I'm just worried that when I come home for holidays, there's going to be tension and it will be really awkward...a sort of, "Yeah you've left us so **** off!" attitude.

I just can't imagine having two sets of friends in two different lives...my uni friends and my home friends, how do you all balance it out? What do you do in the holidays as regards to your old friends?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Fool'sGold*)
    When you started uni, or during uni, did you find there was tension between those who had gone to uni and those who had stayed at home?
    No, well a little. Not tension as such. You learn to stop asking, "what you been up to?" or "what are you doing now?". I find that makes things a little awkward.. specially if they are going knowhere in life.

"Yeah you've left us so **** off!" attitude.
    I think this would be unlikely, and overly harsh if they were to be like that.

how do you all balance it out?
    well you have a balance of seeing your uni friends during term time and "old" friends during the holidays.

What do you do in the holidays as regards to your old friends?
    erm, go for a drink.. catch up.

ReputationRep:
    Me and my 'old friends' are still completely best friends. We see less of eachother, but nothing's changed when we're together.

Just make an effort to keep seeing them throughout the year - go back home sometimes, have them up to stay with you, speak on the phone...my group have a thread on facebook that we constantly just chat on! This will make it less awkward when you go back for the holidays. Also you don't need to have two separate groups - I've met some of their uni friends and they've met some of mine. It actually makes you feel a lot better to meet them, you lose any feeling of competition/threat. So I suggest you introduce your old friends to your new ones, even all go out together. I'm pretty sure that would make them feel better and less excluded.

ReputationRep:
    I feel that at uni, i live out and it is really like two separate lives, but uni friends are for uni and home for home. but i do speak to only my close uni friends over the summer. but its not so bad. i do feel that my friends who seeked employment are "moving on" with their life a little faster.

I'm starting uni in october, as are a few of my friends, but most of my friends are either staying close to home, having gap years or simply seeking employment. I'm just worried that when I come home for holidays, there's going to be tension and it will be really awkward...a sort of, "Yeah you've left us so **** off!" attitude.
    nah i doubt that they will feel like that. friends are friends, and i think naturally you will drift apart because it was school that you had in common, now they are off to work and moving to the next stage of their life.
    haha you said what i said above :rolleyes:

I just can't imagine having two sets of friends in two different lives...my uni friends and my home friends, how do you all balance it out? What do you do in the holidays as regards to your old friends?
    i am not too sure what you mean by balance, i mainly speak to my closest friend who lives at home and just tell them whats happening in life and we talk about our new friends. :woo: best of luck x

ReputationRep:
    My best friend from home didn't go to uni and we're as close as ever. However one of my other close friends doesn't seem to like the fact I've gone and we have drifted apart. I make the effort to meet up with my friends when I come home though and I still have a nice big group of friends here (though most of which did go to uni as well, just not the same place as me).

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.