Turn on thread page Beta

Graduates: What do you know now that you didn't before? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apotoftea)
    Agree with both of these and especially the first one. It's all about who you know
    And by extension it is in life as well

ReputationRep:
    Wow keep them coming guy's!

These post's are awesome to read from someone wishing to go to university like me

.X.

ReputationRep:
    By virtue of your post, shouldn't your username be History Rock's? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    Now now, be nice. And besides, "guy's" is a plural noun but "rocks" is a verb, so they can have different rules :p:

Edit: Unless it is actually "History Rocks" as a noun. Like "The History Boys" but with pebbles instead of 1980s Sheffield schoolboys.

ReputationRep:
    Can I just say, if you find the first term or so challenging/feel down or whatever, do not be disheartened unless you really think the course is not for you.

ReputationRep:
    NO!

It's supposed to be the same as you see it:p:

It used to be a title of a History programme on the History channel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History Rocks)
    NO!

It's supposed to be the same as you see it:p:

It used to be a title of a History programme on the History channel.
    She wasn't serious :p: She means that you used the apostrophe in the plurals "guy's" and "post's" when you shouldn't - "guys" and "posts", apostrophe used only for contraction or possession (except in the case of his/hers/its, so just "It's [it is] windy today" or "Jane's bike").

ReputationRep:
    Think you mean 'per ardua ad astra' JazzyJo - hard work to the stars!
    No no afraid i don't.

The motto of bham university is per adura ad alta - with hard work great things are achieved

nothing to do with stars, sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ad-Alta)
    Birmingham's motto is Per ardua, ad alta, which I personally understand as meaning "Through hard work, to the stars", but I think its more correct translation is "Through hard work, to the heights".

And to jismith, I'd say no in terms of academic achievement etc, but regarding university experiences, I think in the simplest terms you could divide them by falling into the camps of having either a 'good', 'medium' or 'bad' time, so I'd say right now we have quite a good representation out of five people's responses
    Sorry to quote in a diff post

Were you listening in your degree congregation? The dude who was talking clearly translated 'with hard work, great things are achieved'

Someone was asleep :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JazzyJo)

Were you listening in your degree congregation? The dude who was talking clearly translated 'with hard work, great things are achieved'

Though it does seem like "through hard work, to the heights" is a better translation, I have to say. It all means the same though, your translation is just less literal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)

Though it does seem like "through hard work, to the heights" is a better translation, I have to say. It all means the same though, your translation is just less literal.
    Yeah, silly old latin, never means what it says anymore!

(Original post by JazzyJo)
    Supposedly all the speeches at the congregations were slightly different - I don't recall him mentioning our motto in ours.
    Also, the 'dude' was the Pro Vice Chancellor...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ad-Alta)
    Supposedly all the speeches at the congregations were slightly different - I don't recall him mentioning our motto in ours.
    Also, the 'dude' was the Pro Vice Chancellor...
    The guest speaker (the one who gets an honorary degree) is different in each ceremony, but apart from that (and the people getting a degree of course!) are all the same (well i went to 3 diff ones and they were all the same)

Actually, I say 'dude' because the Pro Vice Chancellor does NOT do every single graduation ceremony (imagine if he did poor guy!). They switch around the members of the Council (not sure what their 'group' is called though) - otherwise one guy doing processions/handshaking 3 times a day for almost 6 days straight, a little tiring maybe for an old chappie :P

ReputationRep:
    The Chancellor of the University may not necessarily be the one giving out your degree, as I discovered today. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socrates)
    The Chancellor of the University may not necessarily be the one giving out your degree, as I discovered today. :mad:
    who is the chancellor of soas?

ReputationRep:
    Well we should have got the Chancellor of the University of London, who is Princess Anne.

ReputationRep:
    I will be going back to study in September but from my first degree I have the following tips

-Take advantage of all the facilities and opportunities available to you as a student. They are usually cheaper or free and you have time to enjoy them
    -Network as mentioned above. Your lecturers are probably involved in the respective industry and if you want to get ahead, who you know is very important
    -There will be loads of free young and single people around. Do not rush into a relationship with anyone but do not be the uni bicycle either. You will still be learning about yourself
    -Learn how to budget and how to save money
    -Learn how to cook start with simple stir frys and work your way up. A nice hot home cooked meal is amazing. You will also find your friends coming over for a bit of a taste

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rokit)
    -There will be loads of free young and single people around. Do not rush into a relationship with anyone but do not be the uni bicycle either. You will still be learning about yourself
    defo
    i wish i'd been less suitible with people on all that too...

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Really interesting thread, expecially the "bicycle" part :P

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.