Re-using one's work on PhD research proposal

Watch
aekias
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi all,

I am in the process of writing a PhD application for a social science course and my proposed topic is very similar to the one I did for my Masters dissertation. Therefore, there is naturally great overlap between the research proposal I am drafting and my Dissertation outline that I had to hand in prior to my dissertation in my MA course.

The university I am applying for (LSE) says that the research proposal has to be my own work (obvs), but is it against the rules to use passages that I wrote for my dissertation outline?

In other words, do Research Proposals go through TurnItIn? and in case they do, would it be marked against me that I have used things I have written before (for an outline, not an actual paper)?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by aekias)
Hi all,

I am in the process of writing a PhD application for a social science course and my proposed topic is very similar to the one I did for my Masters dissertation. Therefore, there is naturally great overlap between the research proposal I am drafting and my Dissertation outline that I had to hand in prior to my dissertation in my MA course.

The university I am applying for (LSE) says that the research proposal has to be my own work (obvs), but is it against the rules to use passages that I wrote for my dissertation outline?

In other words, do Research Proposals go through TurnItIn? and in case they do, would it be marked against me that I have used things I have written before (for an outline, not an actual paper)?
Your PhD can't re-use your Masters work, it can only progress it on. So there should not be great overlap. So for example, you can say that your Masters looked at the issue of governance in an industry, and the establishment of universal operating standards, but your PhD is going to look at wider sustainability, of which strong governance is just one factor. Then unless you can take the governance aspect further than your masters, you just refer to the Masters in the PhD text.

If key works of literature are still problematic or influential, it's OK to refer to say Dickens as still having yadda yadda, as you might have done in your Masters, but you have to be proposing a substantially more in depth and progressive piece of research for your PhD.

Research proposals don't go through Turnitin, but if they think your proposal hasn't moved on enough from your Masters and doesn't have the potential to be a substantially different piece of work, they will have problems with it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (105)
61.05%
No (35)
20.35%
Not sure (32)
18.6%

Watched Threads