Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kriscs1)
    I find it funny how some smokers get so aggressive when people question why they smoke.
    Besides, at the end of the day, why can't non-smokers feel smug about themselves? They are generally better off both both financially and health wise and are just as happy, if not more happy, than smokers. You want to smoke? Take the critisism.
    Yes, smokers 'enjoy' smoking but a heroin addict also 'enjoys' taking heroin. It's a drug addiction - simple as.
    And yes you may have no intention of quitting, but when the time comes that you do want to for whatever reason, the chances of you doing so are about 1%. It's called a trap and I for one am so glad I never got into it.
    Smokers of course are so glad they did because they enjoy it. Fine.
    This is a stupid post. Why do non-smokers feel it is their right to voice their opinion on someone else's lifestyle when it is clearly none of their business? Do you think that tee-totallers are equally allowed to berate anyone who has a drink in their presence, because alcohol is more of a killer than cigarettes? And who's to say that just because you don't smoke means you don't waste money on other pointless things, or put your life in danger in other ways. We all have our vices. As for the 1% chance of quitting, the fact that thousands quit each year kind of implies that it is getting easier, especially with the ban causing over 400,000 to quit alone.

ReputationRep:
    I find it funny how some smokers get so aggressive when people question why they smoke.
    Besides, at the end of the day, why can't non-smokers feel smug about themselves? They are generally better off both both financially and health wise and are just as happy, if not more happy, than smokers. You want to smoke? Take the critisism.
    Yes, smokers 'enjoy' smoking but a heroin addict also 'enjoys' taking heroin. It's a drug addiction - simple as.
    And yes you may have no intention of quitting, but when the time comes that you do want to for whatever reason, the chances of you doing so are about 1%. It's called a trap and I for one am so glad I never got into it.
    Smokers of course are so glad they did because they enjoy it. Fine.
    Agree completely - Pos Repped you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Symph)
    This is a stupid post. Why do non-smokers feel it is their right to voice their opinion on someone else's lifestyle when it is clearly none of their business? Do you think that tee-totallers are equally allowed to berate anyone who has a drink in their presence, because alcohol is more of a killer than cigarettes? And who's to say that just because you don't smoke means you don't waste money on other pointless things, or put your life in danger in other ways. We all have our vices. As for the 1% chance of quitting, the fact that thousands quit each year kind of implies that it is getting easier, especially with the ban causing over 400,000 to quit alone.
    Of course it's my right to voice my opinion over smokers, just like it's anyones right to voice their opinion on other things. I'm not saying you can't smoke - it's your.. choice.. but I can give my opinion on it all I want. So can you.
    And of course non smokers waste their money on other things - and so do smokers. However generally, smokers will spend a lot more. Again, not my problem.
    Also - maybe it's not 1%. I saw that on a TV screen at my pharmacy. I think it's 1% without any outside/medical help. It's certainly not over 10%. That's still very low.
    All I'm saying is non smokers, on the whole, are better off than smokers. Surely there's no denying that.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it's my right to voice my opinion over smokers, just like it's anyones right to voice their opinion on other things. I'm not saying you can't smoke - it's your.. choice.. but I can give my opinion on it all I want. So can you.
    And of course non smokers waste their money on other things - and so do smokers. However generally, smokers will spend a lot more. Again, not my problem.
    Also - maybe it's not 1%. I saw that on a TV screen at my pharmacy. I think it's 1% without any outside/medical help. It's certainly not over 10%. That's still very low.
    All I'm saying is non smokers, on the whole, are better off than smokers. Surely there's no denying that.
    I don't think I mean you can't voice an opinion, more why do you feel the need to when it's unlikely to have any impact on the person in question? I'm not a smoker myself but I've never had the urge to let smokers know that I think I'm better than them because I don't fill my lungs with tar. And I would say that whilst I agree non smokers are better off than smokers, thats only on the basis that they're not binge drinking, gambling, boy racers.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently 40% of Bangledeshi men smoke...i wonder why?!

http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/can.../lung/smoking/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Symph)
    I don't think I mean you can't voice an opinion, more why do you feel the need to when it's unlikely to have any impact on the person in question? I'm not a smoker myself but I've never had the urge to let smokers know that I think I'm better than them because I don't fill my lungs with tar. And I would say that whilst I agree non smokers are better off than smokers, thats only on the basis that they're not binge drinking, gambling, boy racers.
    Oh I know it won't have any impact. That's the sad thing about addictions. I don't know why I bother to be honest. I'm not saying I'm better than smokers, I'm saying that I'm having a "better" life now than I would have done if I started smoking at 12, for example. If I had started smoking at 12, I would most probably be saying the same as the smokers are now, however!

And yes I agree with you about binge drinking, gambling etc. But purely using the idea that if you take the exact same boy in two parallel worlds. One starts smoking at 12, the other never touches a cigarette. All other factors the same and exluding any luck, the boy who never started smoking will have a "better" life than the boy who did in quite a few aspects. But I guess those are the choices and mistakes we all make in life.

ReputationRep:
    Started as a try, many family members smoke, so picked up the habbit from them.. For me its not about the nicotine addiction, its more of a habbit addiction.. Plus it's easy to get and the quickest way to relax.. (More of a mental thing)

ReputationRep:
    It is a well known fact that the more you smoke the cleverer you are :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Symph)
    Where did you hear that? As far as I'm aware, the ban has done very little (unless we're talking about scotland here).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed.)
    It is a well known fact that the more you smoke the cleverer you are :yep:
    Well, this is new!! hehe!
    (Damn if this is true.. The entire world would have been a bunch of smartasses! )

ReputationRep:
    I'm just your sad average 'social smoker' who doesnt want to bear the costs and health risks of taking up smoking as a habit, but wants to look cool when out on the night drinking.

ReputationRep:
    sorry to clog up this thread, but it avoids a new thread.
    i'm 17, and have never smoked. i want to try. the people who i know or see who smoke are generally arses, so i'd be quite ashamed to try to buy cigarettes from a shop or from somebody on the street.
    is there anywhere i could buy them online? feel free to point me in the right direction.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdfghjkl123456789)
    i'm 17, and have never smoked. i want to try. the people who i know or see who smoke are generally arses, so i'd be quite ashamed to try to buy cigarettes from a shop or from somebody on the street.
    is there anywhere i could buy them online? feel free to point me in the right direction.
    thanks
    Its hard to buy anything online if your 17. Dont be ashamed of doing it. Ive tried it as I ve said, but just smoke when you feel like it and keep it under control. If you have self-control you can smoke regulary, without anyone knowing and without getting addicted. Just pop down to any shop and buy them, there really is no other way.

ReputationRep:
    thanks
    haha, youre a funny guy, if you want to try you must not be too different to the arses you see, what are trying to be, the exception to the rule?
    Didnt you get the curiosity phase when you were younger?
    Man up and get off to the newsagents

But youre not serious though, you dont want to "clog up" , i guess i could refer to you as a troll, much as i hate using overused made up words, you brought it out of me

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why individual choice matters to anybody but the individual themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with being curious....I'd hate to grow out of being curious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bete noire)
    Nothing wrong with being curious....I'd hate to grow out of being curious.
    Yeah true but the fella with the request for online cigarette retailers sounds 14, as if hes never seen sunlight and as if he knows 2 smokers, basically a wanksta,as if going to a newsagents for something is beneath him

ReputationRep:
    thanks
    Trust me, smokers are alot friendlier than you think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    Trust me, smokers are alot friendlier than you think.
    what about when we havent smoked for a while? when youre smoking you have the couldnt care less attitude and you are friendlier, youll even talk to random people when youre not drunk, its a brotherhood or a sisterhood

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loser222)
    Why do people smoke? I don't understand its bad for your health and it costs money. I understand why old people smoke because they didn't know it was bad for their health but young people?
    I'm guessing your not a smoker....

and yes, yes. i know, i am quite the smart one around here...

why? B/C we are addicted, at least i think thats the main reason people that would want to quit don't / can't. It's a habit that you pick up, usually in your teens, at least where i grew up, and it kinda stick with you....unfortunate for us...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.