Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't. I never have done and don't plan on. I don't think it's necessary, I've friends that smoke on nights out, or do smoke regularly, it's a personal thing. If someone wants to smoke, then yeah I don't mind as long as it's not beside me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StotheL)
    I don't. I never have done and don't plan on. I don't think it's necessary, I've friends that smoke on nights out, or do smoke regularly, it's a personal thing. If someone wants to smoke, then yeah I don't mind as long as it's not beside me.
    the world could use more people more like you :yep:

ReputationRep:
    i understand the passive smoking risk but i think its exaggerated, people exposed to pollution, which is all of us dont die and the smoker is inhaling the cigarette not the passive smoker

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roots)
    i understand the passive smoking risk but i think its exaggerated, people exposed to pollution, which is all of us dont die and the smoker is inhaling the cigarette not the passive smoker
    I beg to differ. I am a smoker, a heavy one too unfortunately and i am really annoyed by the fact that i have to leave the room to have a smoke, but not b/c of the "others" who don't smoke, simply b/c i cant kick this ****ing habit. Passive smoking is a risk factor for alot of diseases. the medical literature is quite decisive on that one my friend..unfortunate for them, and unfortunate for us :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roots)
    Well it's partially due to passive smoking, I don't see why I should be subjected to smoke as I've chosen not to smoke. I honestly don't mind if people are smoking though, if they want to do it then yeah that's fine by me, I just would prefer it if he person didn't smoke and blow it over my face. Most of the time I'd leave if someone was smoking, however if they were smoking somewhere they shouldn't be i.e. in someones house when they know they shouldn't be then it's not fair, but if it's in a smoking area then it's up to me to leave because it's pretty obvious I'm going to be surrounded by smoke. Besides, I absolutely hate smelling of smoke especially when I don't smoke!

(Original post by Lithium)
    the world could use more people more like you :yep:
    Thanks I'm sure my views are the same as the majority!

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why I should be subjected to smoke as I've chosen not to smoke. I'm going to be surrounded by smoke.
    You shouldn't, thats the whole idea and rationale behind banning smoking in public areas

Besides, I absolutely hate smelling of smoke especially when I don't smoke!
    I'm a smoker, and getting in my car---****ing hell, it stinks! hahaha :p:

Thanks I'm sure my views are the same as the majority!

ReputationRep:
    i always try to be respectful when i smoke, if someone asks me not to smoke somewhere then i dont after all the deal is that i smoke, it has nothing to do with others, i see where youre coming from, it isnt pleasant having smoke blown in your face

passive smoking isnt great for your health and may contribute to some conditions but have many people been seriously been affected by passive smoking apart from very young children, it just seems as if the whole thing was used to get everyone on side for the public smoking ban

ReputationRep:
    Smokers, like any other addicts, Get way too defensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robinc)
    but do we all? many of us agree that smoking should be banned in public areas, and most smokers respect a non-smokers request to "put out the cigarette"...we defend our OWN right to smoke as long as it doesn't cause harm to non smokers...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roots)
    i always try to be respectful when i smoke, if someone asks me not to smoke somewhere then i dont after all the deal is that i smoke, it has nothing to do with others, i see where youre coming from, it isnt pleasant having smoke blown in your face

passive smoking isnt great for your health and may contribute to some conditions but have many people been seriously been affected by passive smoking apart from very young children, it just seems as if the whole thing was used to get everyone on side for the public smoking ban
    I am aware that this will not contribute much to the cause- but as a ****ing smoker, IM ALL WITH BANNING SMOKING IN PUBLIC AREAS....

If for no other reason, the freedom and right to not inhale a potentially harmful substance that is "passive"...no choice...:no:

ReputationRep:
    but do we all? many of us agree that smoking should be banned in public areas, and most smokers respect a non-smokers request to "put out the cigarette"...we defend our OWN right to smoke as long as it doesn't cause harm to non smokers...
    Sure I just think in that case I should have the right to do acid, herion, crack and meth. Let the good times roll....It it doesn't harm non acidheads, smackheads, crackheads and methheads.

Where do you draw the line?

(there is a slight Socratic irony in this post)

ReputationRep:
    Much of my father's family smokes. My paternal grandfather died when I was 14 or 15. (Little contact with that side of the family, but it was 9th grade).

My dad smokes. He's 48. His skin is a nightmare. I mean, it's friggin awful. It's yellow, marked, greasy, and very....fragile looking. His breathing is awful. I went shooting with him today. He was out of breath ...just by standing. He wheezed a bit. The last couple of years have seen a marked drop in his health, mostly in his weight and breathing. The air he drew sounded shallow and forced. At this rate, I'll be lucky to have him at 55 and will probably bury him by 60.

He's starting to be worried with his health, as is his doctor.

It's not pleasant to watch your father die a bit every year.

If you do smoke regularly, please don't have kids. It's better if they don't see mom or dad decay before their eyes. And decay so soon...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kriscs1)
    I find it funny how some smokers get so aggressive when people question why they smoke.
    Because it's almost always a thinly disguised and rather infantile attack.

Besides, at the end of the day, why can't non-smokers feel smug about themselves? They are generally better off both both financially and health wise and are just as happy, if not more happy, than smokers. You want to smoke? Take the critisism.
    That's absolute *******s. One tiny variable like smoking has no effect on someone's financial standing or overall health. I know that I'm wealthier than 99% of the world's population, and I am healthier than the vast majority of my fellow countrymen.

If your 'critisism' wasn't based on generalised bigotry, then I'd be more than happy not to insult you - but in this case, I think you deserve it.

Yes, smokers 'enjoy' smoking but a heroin addict also 'enjoys' taking heroin.
    Many heroin addicts do not enjoy what heroin does to them any more; that's where addiction becomes a problem.

It's a drug addiction - simple as.
    No it isn't. Nicotine dependency is irrelevant to me at least - I've stopped for periods when I want to, and coming off cigarettes is physically not even a slight problem if you have any degree of willpower.

Perhaps you might want to actually understand something about addiction before making grandiose comments about it.

And yes you may have no intention of quitting, but when the time comes that you do want to for whatever reason, the chances of you doing so are about 1%.
    That's rubbish, even in terms of people who have no willpower.

ReputationRep:
    Sure I just think in that case I should have the right to do acid, herion, crack and meth. Let the good times roll....It it doesn't harm non acidheads, smackheads, crackheads and methheads.

Where do you draw the line?

(there is a slight Socratic irony in this post)
    Well, is the mental status of a person significantly changed by nicotine in such a way that the abuser or user poses a risk to others? Why is DUI illegal? Becoming a threat to others and violating their freedom and civil rights is a good place to start drawing the line

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9mm)
    Where did you hear that? As far as I'm aware, the ban has done very little (unless we're talking about scotland here).
    Google told me.

ReputationRep:
    Leave smokers alone, the ones moaning about them - They smoke because they want to - Maybe people should stop you doing stuff you want to do and enjoy -
    Gardeners should be banned, they could accidentally lop someone's head off with a spade
    Bowler's should be banned they could accidentally drop the ball on someone's foot.

etc etc - Shut up griping. Moan about something more relevant - Like why Jade Goody should be fired into the sun
    or
    Why Farrelly Brother's films should be buried in a pit somewhere

-- The whole thing is dragging on tedium. You'll never convince a smoker to quit so shurrup - :yy: -

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Because it's almost always a thinly disguised and rather infantile attack.
    Very ture! it is more like a random carpet bombing of the smoker society, with random statistics, than all to often will contradict themselves. Attack IS NOT THE SAME as critisicim!

(Original post by L i b)
    That's absolute *******s. One tiny variable like smoking has no effect on someone's financial standing or overall health. I know that I'm wealthier than 99% of the world's population, and I am healthier than the vast majority of my fellow countrymen.
    Although smoking is NOT a cheap habit, I hardly ever hear "smokers" complaining about the financial burden it poses on them....I don't know where and why that always comes up, or how it is even any of anyones buess.but the smoker himself?

(Original post by L i b)
    If your 'criticism' wasn't based on generalized bigotry, then I'd be more than happy not to insult you - but in this case, I think you deserve it.
    Quotation marks so dead on in place mate! You want to critique something, you need succinct arguments that can WITHSTAND the counter-arguments. All too often when in such a debate, the fact that smokers become "defensive" is in itself used as an argument against the smoker...WTF? we're being attacked....why not become defensive and defend our personal freedom???

(Original post by L i b)
    Many heroin addicts do not enjoy what heroin does to them any more; that's where addiction becomes a problem.
    :yep: Although from a pharmacological aspect, nicotine is more potent by 2 orders of magnitude, it still stands that heroin addiction is alot harder to give up than nicotine addiction....why do so few smoker quit then? 1) never was it claimed that that was easy either 2) the ramifications of smoking are usually well masked and hard to detect..this is side tracking. sorry.

(Original post by L i b)
    Perhaps you might want to actually understand something about addiction before making grandiose comments about it.
    If i may add to that, can people who accuse smokers of being "addicts" give a proper, sound, wholesome definition of what addiction is?

ReputationRep:
    why? B/C we are addicted, at least i think thats the main reason people that would want to quit don't / can't. It's a habit that you pick up, usually in your teens, at least where i grew up, and it kinda stick with you....unfortunate for us...
    If you don't want to smoke, yet can't give up, then you're a pretty sorry individual in my eyes.

I smoke because I want to and enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thats funny)
    Gardeners should be banned, they could accidentally lop someone's head off with a spade
    Or those poor people with asthma and allergies and such life threatening reactions...:no:

ReputationRep:
    Well thank you for that HND-level insight into human psychology.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.