Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    If you don't want to smoke, yet can't give up, then you're a pretty sorry individual in my eyes.

I smoke because I want to and enjoy it.
    ATM, i am a smoker because i enjoy it and as sad as this may sound (giving all its detrimental effects on health)- actually love it...

but it is a matter of fact, regardless of whether you elect to ignore it, belittle it, or "pitty" those smoker who are suffering from physical addiction and psychological addiction.

Weren't you suggesting that someone learn about addiction? I don't mean to be rude. you seem to know what you're talking about. but, remember, you're only a single person that smokes......you're lucky, can quit whenever you want....addiction and tendecny to become addicted is partially genetically determined. so its not as easy for everyone to kick a nasty habit.

I just think that if people like you, that have the will power, and find it, as you called it, easy to quit, were a bit more encouraging, perhaps more people who would want to quit might be inclined to. But then again, you can't carry society's burden on your shoulders...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lithium)
    Although smoking is NOT a cheap habit, I hardly ever hear "smokers" complaining about the financial burden it poses on them....I don't know where and why that always comes up, or how it is even any of anyones buess.but the smoker himself?
    Yep - indeed. I'd rather not hear anyone commenting on my finances at all... but realistically cigarettes are hardly going to break the bank even at the exorbitant prices they are sold at in the UK.

:yep: Although from a pharmacological aspect, nicotine is more potent by 2 orders of magnitude, it still stands that heroin addiction is alot harder to give up than nicotine addiction....why do so few smoker quit then? 1) never was it claimed that that was easy either 2) the ramifications of smoking are usually well masked and hard to detect..this is side tracking. sorry.
    It's a social thing largely; if you smoke, your friends may well too... it just becomes an ingrained part of your routine. It's certainly not about addiction, just that people don't generally alter their habits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Well thank you for that HND-level insight into human psychology.
    Have you notice how people ignore the physiological aspect of nicotine addiction? and it's labeled as a psychological addiction....pure BS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Yep - indeed. I'd rather not hear anyone commenting on my finances at all... but realistically cigarettes are hardly going to break the bank even at the exorbitant prices they are sold at in the UK.

It's a social thing largely; if you smoke, your friends may well too... it just becomes an ingrained part of your routine. It's certainly not about addiction, just that people don't generally alter their habits.
    HABIT! Bingo! you hit the nail on the head....smoking is more of a habit than an addiction...

besides, how many of these brainiacs in here launching this anti-smoker attack even know the ****ing difference b/w addiction, addict, tolerance, dependence...etc....

ReputationRep:
    ATM, i am a smoker because i enjoy it and as sad as this may sound (giving all its detrimental effects on health)- actually love it...
    Glad to hear it. As do I.

but it is a matter of fact, regardless of whether you elect to ignore it, belittle it, or "pitty" those smoker who are suffering from physical addiction and psychological addiction.

Weren't you suggesting that someone learn about addiction? I don't mean to be rude. you seem to know what you're talking about. but, remember, you're only a single person that smokes......you're lucky, can quit whenever you want....addiction and tendecny to become addicted is partially genetically determined. so its not as easy for everyone to kick a nasty habit.
    Well, I'll echo what I said above to this: people generally don't alter their habits; that is, however, not addiction - at least not in my mind - and physical addiction, particularly to tobacco, is fairly insignificant to me in terms of what I'm doing.

I was over visiting the family recently - they don't particularly like that I smoke, so I didn't; why I think I gave up 'easily' was not that I have some great ability to overcome addiction, but simply because I was in a fresh situation where the issue never arose: I wasn't waiting outside lecture halls, sitting with my friends in my garden or outside the local pub, or in my room listening to music with my window open - it is occasion that dictates my reactions, not addiction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Glad to hear it. As do I.

Well, I'll echo what I said above to this: people generally don't alter their habits; that is, however, not addiction - at least not in my mind - and physical addiction, particularly to tobacco, is fairly insignificant to me in terms of what I'm doing.

I was over visiting the family recently - they don't particularly like that I smoke, so I didn't; why I think I gave up 'easily' was not that I have some great ability to overcome addiction, but simply because I was in a fresh situation where the issue never arose: I wasn't waiting outside lecture halls, sitting with my friends in my garden or outside the local pub, or in my room listening to music with my window open - it is occasion that dictates my reactions, not addiction.
    Then i guess we agree on most aspects, and i'll elect to agree to disagree on parts

It's amazing dude that its the occasion that dictates your reaction. Same here, but not to that extent, unfortunate for some, huh!

ReputationRep:
    Or those poor people with asthma and allergies and such life threatening reactions...:no:
    Well, yeah - If you lop someone's head off with asthma, or choke them to death smoking - it's same result.
    But nontheless, most smokers won't erm blow smoke in an asthmatics face will they - nor are we psychic and know if the person next to us is asthmatic, so it's 50% responsibility.
    Half for the smoker to not contaminate someone they know is liable to drop dead.
    Half the person who is liable to drop dead to either move or kindly ask the smoker to move away -

---

But in general, it's rubbish to argue about - Moan about something more interesting and more relevant. Like why Rowan Atkinson's knees are so damn bony

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thats funny)
    Well, yeah - If you lop someone's head off with asthma, or choke them to death smoking - it's same result.
    But nontheless, most smokers won't erm blow smoke in an asthmatics face will they - nor are we psychic and know if the person next to us is asthmatic, so it's 50% responsibility.
    Half for the smoker to not contaminate someone they know is liable to drop dead.
    Half the person who is liable to drop dead to either move or kindly ask the smoker to move away -

---

But in general, it's rubbish to argue about - Moan about something more interesting and more relevant. Like why Rowan Atkinson's knees are so damn bony
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Well thank you for that HND-level insight into human psychology.

I didn't do an HND in psychology though? I'm not sure I can find anywhere I claimed I did.

ReputationRep:
    I think it just started 1 year ago. I am not addicted. (how you define addicted anyway?) I just say I need one pack for 4-5 days in a week.

I am trying not to smoke so much. And I dont let my parents know about this. It is all started when my friend left her ciggy at my place. I was all alone. The time is good : I was stress, all alone, stupid annoying working environment , and yeah. It was once twice, and perhaps it gives me a relaxation mind.

The smell of Menthol ciggy is also.. I think relieving for my throat ? :P I know it is bad. And i think restriction creates temptation... When I grow older, well, I just hope I can throw this bad habit away.

So far, when I am at home, like now.I dont smoke. I do a lot of running and swimming to keep my stamina up. Drinking hot teas and try to hit the good diet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robinc)
    I didn't do an HND in psychology though? I'm not sure I can find anywhere I claimed I did.
    I'd bash my head off my keyboard after reading that comment if I wasn't enjoying a nice cigarette quite so much.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I think for me it is a mix of occasion and addiction. Cigarettes for me always have a practical purpose, I have one at 9 AM with a coffee to get me started, which is probably the best smoke I have, and then there's one after lunch just to chill. But then I get home and can't smoke for 6-7 hours and it seems like an addiction then, although, leaning out the window and looking over my town at night can be nice

Usually I go through 3-4 a day, a mix of occasion and addiction. But when I'm with friends and chatting and drinking, I frankly can't resist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I'd bash my head off my keyboard after reading that comment if I wasn't enjoying a nice cigarette quite so much.
    Are you ok?

ReputationRep:
    i only smoke when im in amsterdam

back in the UK dont touch anything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crouchmagic)
    i only smoke when im in amsterdam

back in the UK dont touch anything!
    Any particular reason?
    social smoker?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.