The Student Room Group

Earning money as a student

I live in a small university town so jobs are very hard to come by, and if one does come up, it's gone within a day or like 60 people apply for one position, making it virtually impossible to get one. My student finance doesn't cover my rent so I need to bring in some extra money soon, does anyone have any ideas or know of anything I could try?
Earn in the holidays. Christmas jobs in particular are quite available.

Find cheaper rent, live frugally generally.

Earn by participating in trials. I'd be surprised in a uni had none of this, although if it doesn't do much research it might be very low paying survey type stuff.

If you're getting minimum loan, its because your parents are high earners and the government expects your parents to contribute.
Reply 2
Original post by nexttime
Earn in the holidays. Christmas jobs in particular are quite available.

Find cheaper rent, live frugally generally.

Earn by participating in trials. I'd be surprised in a uni had none of this, although if it doesn't do much research it might be very low paying survey type stuff.

If you're getting minimum loan, its because your parents are high earners and the government expects your parents to contribute.

my loan is minimum because my father was very ill for two years so he had a payout from his pension to support the family during that time, but the tax year it was taken from was 2017/18 so that money is long gone and my mother already works two jobs and we're still under the threshold so it is impossible for them to contribute, I should get the higher amount next year I think.

Even Christmas jobs here have all been snapped up as I apply for everyone that comes up.

I already have the cheapest rent available to me and it's much less than student accommodation at that, and I definitely live frugally as I don't even turn on my heating lol

I never thought about trials and research, I will definitely look into that thank you for your help! :smile:
Original post by AliPhoenix
my loan is minimum because my father was very ill for two years so he had a payout from his pension to support the family during that time, but the tax year it was taken from was 2017/18 so that money is long gone and my mother already works two jobs and we're still under the threshold so it is impossible for them to contribute, I should get the higher amount next year I think.

You couldn't submit the 18/19 tax year?

Definitely ensure you get a higher loan next year.

Student overdraft maxed yet? You can use it all this year if you're confident of getting more money next year.

If you get into trouble in the future - say you're having problems with SFE - make sure you inform the uni. They can be quite helpful when it comes to temporary financial hardship.

Even Christmas jobs here have all been snapped up as I apply for everyone that comes up.

What about in your parents' area?

I never thought about trials and research, I will definitely look into that thank you for your help! :smile:

I got paid £2100 for a particular vaccine trial. You can get more. The trouble is, they only offer those kinds of trials in Oxford and London really.

You can look into things like flu camp if its convenient... residential so doesn't matter where you live https://flucamp.com
Reply 4
Original post by nexttime
You couldn't submit the 18/19 tax year?

Definitely ensure you get a higher loan next year.

Student overdraft maxed yet? You can use it all this year if you're confident of getting more money next year.

If you get into trouble in the future - say you're having problems with SFE - make sure you inform the uni. They can be quite helpful when it comes to temporary financial hardship.

What about in your parents' area?

I got paid £2100 for a particular vaccine trial. You can get more. The trouble is, they only offer those kinds of trials in Oxford and London really.

You can look into things like flu camp if its convenient... residential so doesn't matter where you live https://flucamp.

Thankyou i will look into that, I try and work when I come home but my parents are nearly 400 miles away so i cant go home at weekends etc, only holidays so it was for something to tide me over in between the holidays

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending