Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey just wondering how many hours of sleep do people here have to get to ensure they have adequate energy every day and aren't a walking zombie? So basically the amount you need to be really on the ball and with it at all times through the day? Bright as a button and sharp

Also, say 8 hours is enough to get you through, do you think it ALSO matters if you change WHEN you get this 8 hours kip in, would it affect your ability to get to sleep fast and have a good one? e.g. say I went to bed tonight at midnight and got up at 8am that'd be 8 hours sleep. If I went to bed at 10pm tomorrow night and got up at 6am on Monday morning this would also be 8 hours sleep. But would the change in times upset the pattern? Sorry just something someone said to me (probably a myth)

ReputationRep:
    4-6 hours and as long as its during night time, 4-6 is enough

ReputationRep:
    For me, I have to get exactly 6 hours of sleep for it to actually work properly; sleep which can happen at any time.
    However, I barely ever get this...I'm usually more likely to have more than 8 or less than 4.

ReputationRep:
    personally 8 hours is more than enough, but that has to be all in one block, you can't just have one hour here one hour there otherwise your body clock will malfunction :p:

ReputationRep:
    7 is the number!

ReputationRep:
    7-10. usually somewhere between there and I hardly ever get it right

ReputationRep:
    8 hours!

ReputationRep:
    i usually sleep for about 11 hours

ReputationRep:
    It's so unfair. I just can't work out the correct number of hours I should be sleeping. 6 has gone well a few times but even that I don't think keeps me up to my maximum alertness and concentration when awake Tried 10 once which was a nightmare, got waaay too into sleep and woke up a wreck for the whole day - on another planet I was! lol Tried 8 and was kinda erghh too. After that I couldn't be bothered trying anymore and just went to bed whenever I felt like it (completely random hours of the morning...)

I'm currently staying away since 10:30 yesterday morning and actually feel a bit better. Though I bet the tiredness will kick in badly tonight!!

Anyone got any tips on what else you can do to aid the sleep and ensure you're not a bit out of it several times a week? Does stuff like exercise help a lot?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piglet29)
    i usually sleep for about 11 hours
    11 hours?? How do you fit it in? And in any case, how do you not wake up spaced out of it after so many hours sleeping? That's all that happens to me.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't found my right amount yet, grr.

8 hours seems to be just a touch too little, I wake up after 8 hours and still feel horrible. Maybe 8.5-9.

Actually the above has been true of this week where I've worked 50 hours, and the week before that, that probably has some bearing on it. Throw a period in too and I'm sure that all makes me want more sleep :p:

ReputationRep:
    I need 12 hrs to feel perfect(say I good to bed at midnight, I'd wake up at midday with no alarm) , for college I'd sleep for 7 so I could get there on time, and I would yawn alot in the morning and feel not up to much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pitchy08)
    11 hours?? How do you fit it in? And in any case, how do you not wake up spaced out of it after so many hours sleeping? That's all that happens to me.
    well this is when im not at school and can sleep for as long as i want, i'll just sleep through 11 hours easily. i usually feel fine when i wake up. i guess im just one of those people that needs a lot of sleep - i get moody if i get any less than about 8 hours

ReputationRep:
    Ideally 9 hours, but I don't get this a lot during term time, more like 7-8 hours.

ReputationRep:
    How come when you were a kid you could feel great whatever time of day it was !

ReputationRep:
    Too much sleep, and I'm really tired. I had 10 hours last night and I'm knackered. 7 hours is good I really dislike sleep though. Can't stand it.

ReputationRep:
    Ideally around 24 hours a day/night but settle for around 8-9.

ReputationRep:
    I need at least 8 hours, which means that when I am on placement I need to be in bed by 10pm at the latest and preferably 30-40 minutes earlier, in order to feel like a human being when I get up at 6am.

If I don't need to get up then I might not go to bed until after midnight but will wake up about 10 or 11 am. So I still get the same amount of sleep but at different times. It doesn't seem to make a difference to me when the sleep takes place just how long it is.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone think it's all about consistency, i.e. you could just have 4 hours sleep per night but as long as you did the same 4 hours each and every night you'd be cool? Or wishful thinking? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pitchy08)
    Anyone think it's all about consistency, i.e. you could just have 4 hours sleep per night but as long as you did the same 4 hours each and every night you'd be cool? Or wishful thinking? lol
    YES! I'm absolutely fine with 4 hours per night, always 3am til 7am, and I'm absolutely fine every day, no tiredness or anything.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.