The Student Room Group

Dropping out Second year?????

I've got a bit of a situation where I would appreciate some advice. So essentially I am a second year law student at bristol but right now I am having doubts. I am not really enjoying bristol as a university (I think I would be happier in London/Durham/Exeter and I have the grades for these places) but my mum would not let me drop out last year, but now I can because I live with my dad now. I don't like my courseand I struggle significantly and am worried I may only end up with a 2.2. I am reapplying to other universities for a different course atm, but am staying in Bristol for the time being just to see how I do in end of year exams. It is worth noting I already had a gap year so should be in my third year, so should I suck it up and work harder and try to get a 2.1 or take the risk and leave? Money is not a concern as I believe i would only have to self fun entirely for one year, which we can afford as Iam entitled to two more years of student finance? I just turned 20 in august. So should I do it, and if so how will it affect my future?
Original post by Anonymous
I've got a bit of a situation where I would appreciate some advice. So essentially I am a second year law student at bristol but right now I am having doubts. I am not really enjoying bristol as a university (I think I would be happier in London/Durham/Exeter and I have the grades for these places) but my mum would not let me drop out last year, but now I can because I live with my dad now. I don't like my courseand I struggle significantly and am worried I may only end up with a 2.2. I am reapplying to other universities for a different course atm, but am staying in Bristol for the time being just to see how I do in end of year exams. It is worth noting I already had a gap year so should be in my third year, so should I suck it up and work harder and try to get a 2.1 or take the risk and leave? Money is not a concern as I believe i would only have to self fun entirely for one year, which we can afford as Iam entitled to two more years of student finance? I just turned 20 in august. So should I do it, and if so how will it affect my future?

I mean if the only predominant factor is just being nervous about getting a 2.2 then unless something is going to substantially change, I dont see why moving uni would have a large impact on this. Its not like your now applying to Leeds Met your still targeting good unis...

If this is a case of you hate the current situation, you dont think this will lead to the job/career you want long term, and changing uni will enable this then moving sounds like the better option.

If I were you I would just slave your butt off this semester and try and get excellent marks in everything, then see how you feel, you might seem to enjoy your course if you get really good marks.

3rd year will likely be a slog (but this is the same on almost all courses at EVERY UNI!) so your jumping out at the wrong time after 2 years imo, but if you really hate the course & uni, and you need a specific different type of a degree for the career you want, then move.
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
I mean if the only predominant factor is just being nervous about getting a 2.2 then unless something is going to substantially change, I dont see why moving uni would have a large impact on this. Its not like your now applying to Leeds Met your still targeting good unis...

If this is a case of you hate the current situation, you dont think this will lead to the job/career you want long term, and changing uni will enable this then moving sounds like the better option.

If I were you I would just slave your butt off this semester and try and get excellent marks in everything, then see how you feel, you might seem to enjoy your course if you get really good marks.

3rd year will likely be a slog (but this is the same on almost all courses at EVERY UNI!) so your jumping out at the wrong time after 2 years imo, but if you really hate the course & uni, and you need a specific different type of a degree for the career you want, then move.

It not that I don't enjoy Bristol but i believe i would be happier studying elsewhere. i know Bristol is a good uni., but its just not for me, I orignially was going to go to Durham but changed my mind last minute as bristol dropped their offer for me. Iam mostly concerned with my course as I don't enjoy it and struggle to be motivated, I am unsure I even want to be a lawyer and originally I was going to go for History and see where that takes me, till my mum intervened and made me go for law. So is it worth it and how would it look when I'm 24 applying for jobs if i drop out now?
It not that I don't enjoy Bristol but i believe i would be happier studying elsewhere. i know Bristol is a good uni., but its just not for me, I orignially was going to go to Durham but changed my mind last minute as bristol dropped their offer for me. Iam mostly concerned with my course as I don't enjoy it and struggle to be motivated, I am unsure I even want to be a lawyer and originally I was going to go for History and see where that takes me, till my mum intervened and made me go for law. So is it worth it and how would it look when I'm 24 applying for jobs if i drop out now?

Age being 24, make very little difference imo.

Prospects wise, I think a law degree will open more doors generally then history (and obviously you could also choose to be a lawyer, worth noting lots of people with LLB's choose not pursue law as a career...). However if you want to be a historian then you'll probably need to change.

Its impossible for anyone but yourself to say how beneficial your current situation is, and whether changing is worth it. I guess if your going to finish the year anyway then put your best foot forward really push yourself and see what grades you can get, whilst simultaneously applying for the History (or whatever you know choose).

Then in the summer once you've got your 2nd year results take a few weeks to think about it.
Reply 4
what did you do in the end? kinda feel the same as u now

Hello,
It seems you are in a sticky situation right now. What do you think is the cause of your struggle apart from your course? Maybe you don't like the way it's taught there or something else might be the problem. Anyways, try and work harder to get and graduate because you are nearly finished with it but if you have something else that you can do while you are out of Uni, it's not a completely bad idea or maybe you can transfer to another university. You can even take sometime off to think about it when you get your results but the last year of uni is usually chill except for assessments. At the end of the day, it's your choice but I hope you find an answer.

Benedicta,
University of Sunderland Student Ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending