Do you have time for a part time job and your A-levels?

Watch
Poll: Does your A-level study leave time for a part time job?
Yes I would have time for both (306)
37.27%
No I wouldn't have time to study and work (515)
62.73%
Evil Homer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago

Hey everyone

Its January :eek3:

It's 2020 :eek3:

This summers exams are now just round the corner :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

That means you are all now working really hard in school and when you are at home to make sure you are set and ready to smash this years exams and get the grades you need! We know this is really hard work and can be really tiring.

But where does that leave time for part time work? It's recently been published that the amount of teenagers with Saturday jobs are sharply declining, could this be because the demands of A-level courses just leave no time for anything else?

Do you guys have any stories about maybe having to make difficult choices with your time to make sure you got the grades you needed? Or is there other reasons for teenagers no longer having Saturday jobs/part time jobs?
username2998742
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I can't comment personally because I have no job :emo: but most people at my college do have part-time jobs, either on the weekend or after school
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I babysit because it's more flexible as I can decline jobs that I can't manage, but otherwise it's difficult to balance everything... I know that in a month or so I'll have to give up everything in order to focus... but that's jsut life, and it's only for 6 months!
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I had one when I did A Levels. Some jobs are more student friendly than others and I'd always recommend someone applying for a part time job while studying to think about whether your employer understands that your studies are more important than the job, and think also about whether this is going to fill spaces on your CV the best.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've answered this for my kids, all 4 of whom had jobs whilst doing A levels (so did I but it's too long ago to count). They had various levels of success at A levels, from CC (and 5 separate AS levels as he kept changing his mind) to A*AAAB but that had nothing to do with how many hours they worked. 3 of them also played sport to county level. It's all to do with organisation.
SkyRunner61
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I had a part-time job tutoring for four hours a week and volunteered for up to 12 hours per week. I tailed off just at the start of A-Level exam season, but I worked really hard on my studies and somehow got 4 A*s
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Evil Homer)

could this be because the demands of A-level courses just leave no time for anything else?

No.

Yes when your 17/18 A-levels seem hard, and often people feel a huge pressure to do well, but once you make it out of school you realise there are more difficult workloads, with more logistical challenges with tighter deadlines.

There hard, because its the furthest people have been pushed up until that point. But quite frankly if you do 3 subjects thats probably 12-15 hours of teaching and if you do another 10-15 hours of work outside the classroom every week your doing better then 90% of A-level students and thats not even close to 40 hours a week.

Yes 50/60 hours on A-levels can still easily be done, and that would still leave time for more stuff outside the of A-levels.

These kids still have plenty of time. Obviously May-June is different so exam season not included...
Last edited by mnot; 1 year ago
dxvid
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Evil Homer)

Hey everyone

Its January :eek3:

It's 2020 :eek3:

This summers exams are now just round the corner :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

That means you are all now working really hard in school and when you are at home to make sure you are set and ready to smash this years exams and get the grades you need! We know this is really hard work and can be really tiring.

But where does that leave time for part time work? It's recently been published that the amount of teenagers with Saturday jobs are sharply declining, could this be because the demands of A-level courses just leave no time for anything else?

Do you guys have any stories about maybe having to make difficult choices with your time to make sure you got the grades you needed? Or is there other reasons for teenagers no longer having Saturday jobs/part time jobs?
I am currently working full-time as a management consultant whilst studying Economics, Politics (A-Levels) and Further Maths (AS). Didn't manage to complete all of my exams in Year 13 (only Maths) but am working *hard* towards my LSE offer this year

If anyone has any questions or would like advice, just ask!
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i don't think i'd have enough time for a part time job :dontknow:
Deggs_14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think having a job would make me too tired
Vickyss
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I personally think that it all depends on the student organization.
I'm currently doing 2 A-Levels and a Level 3 BTEC subject which means that I'm able to revise for less theoretical content ( if that makes sense lol). For the BTEC one, I make sure that I do most of the work at sixth form and in my frees. Hence, enabling time for me to revise (almost) every day for the rest 2 subjects at home. At the weekends I also have a part-time job (8 hours ish-) which I don't think has really impacted my grades (if anything is practicing exam-style questions on weekdays is which I truly need to focus from now on).
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes.
During A Levels, I had a part time job editing photographs and used to do some freelance photography assignments at the weekend.

For years before & after school I got lumbered with: typing up attendance notes, sorting through mountains of paperwork, filling up the legal aid forms for the legal advice centres my mother volunteered at, entering case management info onto the lsc/laa compatible online billing systems and submitting the claims.
Then forced to do my father's monthly admin and accounts task at the weekend.
Semiha(t)
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I had a part-time job previously but I quit as it was making me too tired and stressed out for school and my a-levels (which are now fast approaching). However, I'm currently looking for another one with minimal working hours (it's been pretty hard :'( to find these in my area though) as I need a way to save up a somewhat significant amount before uni begins.
Evil Homer
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So do you guys think its actually because there aren't Saturday/part time jobs for you guys to find?
Gilmore Girl
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's a while back for me but my parents expected me to get a job as soon as I turned 15. I remember my school being really against is though as they were worried about our grades being affected.
hallaluliah
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by dxvid)
I am currently working full-time as a management consultant whilst studying Economics, Politics (A-Levels) and Further Maths (AS). Didn't manage to complete all of my exams in Year 13 (only Maths) but am working *hard* towards my LSE offer this year

If anyone has any questions or would like advice, just ask!
Hi! I'm choosing my a levels and want to know what economics and politics are like. Are they interesting? which one is more challenging/ useful/ interesting?btw alongside those a levels i'm choosing maths and chemistry and possibly geog if i could decide between eco and politics. Also do u know anyone taking any of the a levels i mentioned. pls tell me their experience.
thanksss xx
Thelastdiadem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I had a really flexible job, if I was too busy with exams
I refused my shifts which I was fully entitled to as it was what my contract stated. My manager was very understanding.
Thelastdiadem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think you should be fine but I recommend doing a maximum of 12 hrs a week
schoolsuxs
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I personally have had a part time job after school on Monday's for 3 hours from January to September last year and since September I've been doing 3 shifts on mon/tue/thurs which is becoming a lot now, I have taken days off when i have exam after school and I've taken 2 weeks off for mocks and interviews which was fine.

I personally wanted a job to start saving a little now and I know I'll thank myself for it later in life i guess it depends on the person but i do a lot of work in my free's and more work on the weekends to compensate.
GreenCub
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm in year 13 doing 4 A levels (maths, FM, chemistry and physics) and if I were only doing my A levels then I'd definitely have lots of time for a job, but throughout sixth form I've been preparing for lots of challenges and olympiads as well as my Cambridge interview and STEP so with all of that added I don't have that much time left.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (326)
55.82%
I don't have everything I need (258)
44.18%

Watched Threads