The Student Room Group

Can you date someone with different goals than yourself?

Me and this guy are friends but he's always had stronger feelings and now my feelings are growing too.
I want a certain lifestyle that he's not very into.
I want to have a farm in the future, nothing big because i'm planning on having a regular job too. He knows this and have said all he wants for himself is an apartment and a cat, but that if he met someone and it got serious he's open for moving to the countryside and get a house together at least. I really like him though and in terms of everything else we're very compatible. In fact i've never met someone else i've been so compatible with in every area of things.
He's a very simple guy though. Has no high education and isn't planning on getting one, he just wants to work a simple job that doesn't require education and focus on other things. He is not lazy though, he's very good at taking care of things around the home. I'm just slightly concerned about how we would compromise things if we decided to be together. I don't wanna ask him this as we're not together yet because I haven't yet had the courage to tell him my feelings are stronger, and i'm not sure I want to yet. Is this something that people are able to figure out or does it mean a future for us cannot exist?
I think if you both try then that can work! Good luck :tongue:
Original post by Anonymous
Me and this guy are friends but he's always had stronger feelings and now my feelings are growing too.
I want a certain lifestyle that he's not very into.
I want to have a farm in the future, nothing big because i'm planning on having a regular job too. He knows this and have said all he wants for himself is an apartment and a cat, but that if he met someone and it got serious he's open for moving to the countryside and get a house together at least. I really like him though and in terms of everything else we're very compatible. In fact i've never met someone else i've been so compatible with in every area of things.
He's a very simple guy though. Has no high education and isn't planning on getting one, he just wants to work a simple job that doesn't require education and focus on other things. He is not lazy though, he's very good at taking care of things around the home. I'm just slightly concerned about how we would compromise things if we decided to be together. I don't wanna ask him this as we're not together yet because I haven't yet had the courage to tell him my feelings are stronger, and i'm not sure I want to yet. Is this something that people are able to figure out or does it mean a future for us cannot exist?

With these things I feel like you can’t know unless you give it a go. It might be a little scary at first as, from what you’ve said, it seems like you like planning your future but if he does seem like such a great guy for you then I say go for it. Express your concerns later because it does seem like he’s willing to compromise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending