Saving up for Laser eye surgery?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Is it wise to save up for laser eye surgery which would cost £7000 for me if I am only 19? Is it an amount that is too much to spend even if I did get the money somehow
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Is it wise to save up for laser eye surgery which would cost £7000 for me if I am only 19? Is it an amount that is too much to spend even if I did get the money somehow
Why is it costing so much. I had it done a few years ago at moorfields in London and it cost £3000. Moorfields is more expensive than other places and I had a tricky cornea so had to go there.

Also I think you might be too young. Your eyes are still settling.

But just to add for anyone considering it. Doesn't hurt and results are amazing
Anonymous #1
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
Why is it costing so much. I had it done a few years ago at moorfields in London and it cost £3000. Moorfields is more expensive than other places and I had a tricky cornea so had to go there.

Nice to hear! I hope your eyes have been well since then. My eyesight is extremely poor (coke-bottle glasses) and so while looking online, I found that prices to deal with my prescription went up to around £6,000 and £7,000.
Anonymous #1

I have spoken to a clinic in London that deals with more patients than other clinics and even they said ordinary laser eye surgery isn't an option for me but that other solutions might exist.
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have spoken to a clinic in London that deals with more patients than other clinics and even they said ordinary laser eye surgery isn't an option for me but that other solutions might exist.
Then I would make an appointment at moorfields. It will cost about 125quid but they are the best.. I still think you are being ripped off. Have you an astigmatism. I was -7.5 both eyes.

If yours are worse you can have lenses put in like they do in cataract surgery. I think Claudia winkleman had those
Anonymous #1
Then I would make an appointment at moorfields. It will cost about 125quid but they are the best.. I still think you are being ripped off. Have you an astigmatism. I was -7.5 both eyes.

If yours are worse you can have lenses put in like they do in cataract surgery. I think Claudia winkleman had those
Hyperemia, glaucoma, astigmatism, amblyopia

I already go Moorfields for these issues and don't pay for my appointments because my optician and GP sent me to Moorfields.

I really don't want to put anything into my eyes. I prefer the idea of having something cut open/laser.

One of my eyes used to be at around -15 although it has gotten worse.
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

I already go Moorfields for these issues and don't pay for my appointments because my optician and GP sent me to Moorfields.

I really don't want to put anything into my eyes. I prefer the idea of having something cut open/laser.

Bloody hell! I see where you are coming from.

Look I don't want to give you false hope but you may even ve able to get it done on the NHS

I did work in opthalmology for a few years and all also did a lot of research. Then..... if you were below a certain prescription you could only have the lens implant. It really isn't a problem. Also because you are so bad, they would probably put in a variofocal lens so you wouldn't need reading glasses.

Disclaimer here. My info is 5 years old. The field of eye surgery moves quickly. But at least it has been suggested that you can have it done.

If you can..... save up for it. It literally transformed my life
Anonymous #1
Bloody hell! I see where you are coming from.

Look I don't want to give you false hope but you may even ve able to get it done on the NHS

I did work in opthalmology for a few years and all also did a lot of research. Then..... if you were below a certain prescription you could only have the lens implant. It really isn't a problem. Also because you are so bad, they would probably put in a variofocal lens so you wouldn't need reading glasses.

Disclaimer here. My info is 5 years old. The field of eye surgery moves quickly. But at least it has been suggested that you can have it done.

If you can..... save up for it. It literally transformed my life
A lot of people suggest that I get laser eye surgery but they don't realise how difficult it is for me too 😂

I'm waiting for my next appointment with Moorfields and a person there mentioned how if the state of my eyes gets worse then a surgery will be necessary but not sure if they meant surgery to address issues or correct sight/vision. Ultimately, addressing the issues will help my sight.

Yes your info is outdated. Even my prescription can be addressed without lense implants (if I'm not mistaken).

I can't save up for it really as I can't get a job with the glasses I have on. I'm not taken seriously and most consider me to be disabled as first impression.
Kathy89
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

I doubt you will be suitable for laser surgery.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's worrying you most about starting back at school/college this year?

The potential for Covid to keep disrupting things (109)
14.53%
My mental health (110)
14.67%
Feeling behind academically (142)
18.93%
Making friends/social anxiety (135)
18%
How to organise myself (25)
3.33%
How to revise/study effectively (89)
11.87%
Future career, uni, pathway planning and applications (125)
16.67%
Something else - let us know in the thread (15)
2%

Watched Threads