The Student Room Group

Dissertation Acknowledgments

My friend has just submitted their MSc Dissertation and the acknowledgment page within it was brilliantly funny, nearly as good as Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes...

I got thinking if anyone else had submitted a slightly comical acknowledgment page or are they normally quite bland like mine is!
Original post by Elastoplast
My friend has just submitted their MSc Dissertation and the acknowledgment page within it was brilliantly funny, nearly as good as Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes...

I got thinking if anyone else had submitted a slightly comical acknowledgment page or are they normally quite bland like mine is!

You've got to give an excerpt now! You can't just say it's funny and not give an example... :awesome:
Reply 2
Nah, mine were relatively short and sincere. My PhD one was longer but also sincere. I saved the banter for my examples and counterexamles n the text itself
During my BSc project, there was 7 of us all working on different tumour suppressor genes, my specific one being GALNT9 <3

We unofficially dubbed ourselves 'The Gene Team' and used that in all correspondence with our supervisor.

In my acknowledgement section, alongside the lab technicians and my supervisor, I thanked 'The Gene Team' for their banter and 'assistance when practicals inevitably went wrong' :h:
I quote ABBA lyrics in the draft of my PhD acknowledgements! :awesome:

Spoiler

Reply 5
In my MLitt acknowledgements, I did thank my cat Jameson for always providing a useful reminder of mealtimes when I got to caught up in work. In the PhD ones, there's an in-joke thanking my office mates which only they will get, for everybody else it just looks like a slightly odd reference to mythology. So far, everybody out of that group who finished anything used that in their acknowledgements in some variation, so it would be fun to observe what philologists of the future would decide the stemma codicum for our works must be :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending