Procrastination

Watch this thread
hway
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I’m in Year 13 and my procrastination is at an all time high. How do I motivate myself to revise...?

aadelinamason
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
im in year 12 and asked my mentor the same question.
her answer was.
'Do you want to fail?'
Hazelly
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by hway)
I’m in Year 13 and my procrastination is at an all time high. How do I motivate myself to revise...?
Think about the rewards after you've studied. Give yourself mini rewards throughout your studies to keep yourself productive.
Ðeggs
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
By thinking about what your life would be like if you failed your a levels because you personally didn’t revise hard enough.
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by hway)
Hi there hway

Think short term and long term goals to help your motivation levels.

Short term, revising will give you the best chance to get the beat grades you can, saving you from having to resit your exams.

Longer term, those good grades the revision has got you will help get you onto the university course/career path you want.

Break your revision down into smaller more manageable chunks to make it easier to retain and don;t revise for longer than 40-60mins at a time with a 20 min break to keep your brain refreshed.

Good luck!

Fi :horse:
swrhaa
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by hway)
Tell yourself WHY you need to revise. Picture your dream university and think about the consequences of you not getting a place at uni. Stay away from distractions and work at a place that doesn't distract you.
imscrewedlol
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
list all the sub categories that u have to revise for the test and put a box next to them, count how many weeks you have and divide these per week, e.g 5 per week. Setting weekly goals is easier coz somedays feel rubbish and ull just wanna binge Netflix- other days you may feel motivated, weekly goals let you deicide weekly what u wanna do and if u procrastinate ull be up until 2 am on Monday to finish the week. and you get to tick boxes which is satisfying and ull know if ur behind and when ur parents are like 'should you be revising' u can be like ' nah I actually planned and im ontop of stuff' and it means you wouldn't over work, under work and youll feel less stressed
Em.-.
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Best word to describe my life right now.
idkjester
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by hway)
Personally, I procrastinate when I get overwhelmed by the amount of content that I have to revise.
I find that looking at what you're doing in a literal sense can help to alleviate stress (if this is why you procrastinate as well, at least).

In my case, if I'm studying for a test and I get overwhelmed, I think:
"What does taking a test involve?"
Then I think:
"Well, it involves going over pieces of information, and then writing them out in certain ways onto sheets of paper. Then, a teacher puts numbers next to the words I write, and gives my answers an overall capital letter."

I feel that this process really helps with grounding myself during moments of stress, and helps make things that seemed overwhelming at first feel manageable, lessening my procrastination.
It might not work for everyone who procrastinates, but it helps me, so maybe it'll help you?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (223)
42.31%
The paper was reasonable (226)
42.88%
Not feeling great about that exam... (48)
9.11%
It was TERRIBLE (30)
5.69%

Watched Threads