How do I find and compare attitudes to a theme (e.g. war) in English texts?

Watch
IT monkey
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I was just revising English poetry papers and I came across a question, which was: 'Compare the attitudes of war in Kamikaze and one other poem'. It's been a bit too long since I have done an 'attitude' question and I need a bit of help getting back on track. It doesn't help that I've just finished Kamikaze.

Also, is there a specific essay structure for compare questions? I just write them how I would any other English question, one for a poem and another paragraph for the other poem.
Mona123456
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by IT monkey)
I was just revising English poetry papers and I came across a question, which was: 'Compare the attitudes of war in Kamikaze and one other poem'. It's been a bit too long since I have done an 'attitude' question and I need a bit of help getting back on track. It doesn't help that I've just finished Kamikaze.

Also, is there a specific essay structure for compare questions? I just write them how I would any other English question, one for a poem and another paragraph for the other poem.
Okay, so what I would be thinking for that question would be:

First think of three sub themes shown in Kamikaze relating to the question:

- positive attitudes to war & patriotism
- negative attitudes to war & death
- negative attitudes to war & control

I would then think about picking another poem. In this case I would probably go with Bayonet Charge.

For the structure then I’d do:

1. Intro outlining question & general attitudes to war in both poems & context
2. Positive attitudes to war via patriotism - use quotes from start of Kamikaze and then that the ‘king, honour... yelling alarm’ line from Bayonet charge - talk about how patriotism is shown as more positive in Kamikaze and negative/mocking in Bayonet Charge
2. Negative attitudes & death - use the fishing boats/bunting similes of Kamikaze to talk about what is destroyed then literally any line of Bayonet Charge (particularly the second stanza) to again show the negative attitude that war creates death/destruction
3. Negative attitudes with control - use the last lines of Kamikaze and Japanese references throughout (and reference to ‘one way trip’) to show the brainwashing/control. Then Bayonet Charge the ‘cold clockwork of the stars...’ quote shows again how the soldier feels controlled.
4. Conclusion reiterating arguments that Kamikaze’s shows attitudes to war that are in favour of patriotism and honour, whilst Bayonet Charge’s attitudes to war seem much more negative. Again link in context.

Somewhere, in one of those points I’d mention structure where it fits, and for all the points I would do language analysis before comparing the attitudes. Every point I would end linking back to the question and attitudes towards war.

Regarding your second question - there’s no specific structure for these questions. What I would always do, was an intro, three big paragraphs (point, quote, analysis, link to question for poem 1, then point, quote, analysis, link to question for poem 2 then a couple of lines comparing the two), then a conclusion. Throughout I would embed context where it fit naturally, and somewhere within at least one point I would mention structure (even if it was just enjambement for example).

Hope this helps! Good luck with your exams.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (79)
13.57%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (11)
1.89%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (147)
25.26%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (47)
8.08%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (280)
48.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.09%

Watched Threads