ZoeM22
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I don't know if I should choose Latin or Religious studies for GCSE. And I would like to do medicine. Advice, please
Ajmalelhani
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
You can do both- both really good as ethics will be discussed in religion. Latin is also good because some medical terms are in Latin, so will help you.
imscrewedlol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by ZoeM22)
I don't know if I should choose Latin or Religious studies for GCSE. And I would like to do medicine. Advice, please
Honestly first base it one which subject you enjoy more coz u 'll be studying this for 2 to 3 years. Personally I think that religious studies is easier than latin so if your struggling with latin and know you wouldn't be able to put the time and effort pick religious studies. However Latin is highly regarded as people understand that it is a difficult gcse - but at the same time its super cool coz you get to translate real texts that were written in rome and not just analysing Caecilius' life. However with latin there are set texts that you have to learn and loads of gramma points - its really similar to English lit (but then again you got to know info for RS). Choosing between latin and rs wouldn't impact ur goal to study medicine (and if ur planning on doing medicine most uni's like to have a modern foreign language so consider this option too coz latin isn't considered as a modern foreign language).
My best advise is to speak with students in ur school/college on whats its like and see if it suits you coz it varies school to school.
Hope this helps x
epicnm
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by ZoeM22)
Ive been made to do RE for GCSE and also want to do medicine. I think it’s probably my least favourite subject, just because there is A lot of content to learn(and I have no motivation to learn it!) the only good thing I find is ethics where you learn about abortion, euthanasia (related to medicine), aswell as violence, war, terrorism, relationships, justice. However the course is mainly Catholic Christianity based(65%) and then the beleifs and practices of one other religon.

If you like RE and learning about the theological side, like Incarnation, Trinity, Creation, Redemption or Eschatology(Life after death), then definitely go for it. There are definitely some very interesting topics and it also helps you develop essay writing and evaluation skills.

I don’t do Latin, but have heard it’s very interesting, and also can help with learning other languages that are based from it, like French. But I’d only do it if you had done Latin and had some knowledge of words in Latin.

Just make sure whatever you choose you enjoy because that will allow you to do well in it!
ZoeM22
Rep:
?
(Original post by epicnm)
Ive been made to do RE for GCSE and also want to do medicine. I think it’s probably my least favourite subject, just because there is A lot of content to learn(and I have no motivation to learn it!) the only good thing I find is ethics where you learn about abortion, euthanasia (related to medicine), aswell as violence, war, terrorism, relationships, justice. However the course is mainly Catholic Christianity based(65%) and then the beleifs and practices of one other religon.

If you like RE and learning about the theological side, like Incarnation, Trinity, Creation, Redemption or Eschatology(Life after death), then definitely go for it. There are definitely some very interesting topics and it also helps you develop essay writing and evaluation skills.

I don’t do Latin, but have heard it’s very interesting, and also can help with learning other languages that are based from it, like French. But I’d only do it if you had done Latin and had some knowledge of words in Latin.

Just make sure whatever you choose you enjoy because that will allow you to do well in it!
Thank you
ZoeM22
Rep:
?

Thank you. I do enjoy both but I can feel that my mum would like me to do Latin. After the reply, I feel like that I would like to do RS.
ZoeM22
Rep:
?

Thank you very much. I am going to do RS🤞
ZoeM22
Rep:
?

Thank you very much. I am going to do RS🤞
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (11)
18.64%
I'm not sure (2)
3.39%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (17)
28.81%
I have already dropped out (3)
5.08%
I'm not a current university student (26)
44.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed