Emily~3695
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, do any grade 9 students have any notes they would be willing to share with me for English lit, I do a Christmas carol, Romeo and Juliet, am inspector calls and AQA love and relationships poetry, I have made my own notes but I’m still struggling to get more than a 6 and would love to get an 8/9, any help would be really appreciated
_pr3tzl_
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The thing about notes is that you can only get so far. I got a nine through writing 2 essays a week and getting them marked by a teacher. Thanks to this I got a 9. I didnt do the same texts but literature is formulaic to an extent.

Firstly, I suggest you do research of poetic techniques and brush up on what you know from language (perspective, metaphors, punctuation). You can look at a noun phrase, a full stop or anything and you can achieve high bands. You can analyse a seemingly boring line by doing this to get originality and develop your own ideas. When you do this, don't just stop at "the author used a metaphor to show panic" explain what words they used and why this links to panic for example.

(Written badly but you get the point below)
E.g in macbeth Act 3 Scene 4 "thy bones are marrowless" Macbeth describes Banquo's bones without blood. Marrow is needed to make blood. Jacobean people believed in the four humours in which one of them requires the balance of blood. As Banquo has no blood, he is seen as unhealthy. Shakespeare uses the lack of blood as an embodiment of Macbeth's unhealthy obsession with the murder and his desperation for everything to be better. The reoccurring motif of blood throughout the play echoes the idea of juxtaposition between life and death. As someone without blood appears before Macbeth, Shakespeare foreshadows the demise of the soldier with "overleaping ambitions". The barrier between life and death becomes "murky" as Shakespeare clashes blood with no blood.

You need to develop interesting theses. Always relate back to your thesis. The reader should never be confused on the point as you are ARGUING. You are convincing someone.

Use quotes all the time, link to as much as possible (context, authors intent) but they must never be bored. Each point must be as good as the last if not better. Your conclusion should develop the thesis into a twist. Dont just say "blood is symbolic of life and death" say "Shakespeare uses blood as a symbol of life and death. Doing this, he foreshadows the demise of Macbeth as the quantity gradually increases from a "spot" to "wading", demonstrating the king drowning in his misdeeds for power".

Talk about how it sounds when you read it out, what the words sound like or link to, why this makes you feel a certain way (e.g black links to darkness and darkness is uncertainty as you cannot clearly see)

I hope this helped and it wasnt too long winded 😅😅
Emily~3695
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by _pr3tzl_)
The thing about notes is that you can only get so far. I got a nine through writing 2 essays a week and getting them marked by a teacher. Thanks to this I got a 9. I didnt do the same texts but literature is formulaic to an extent.

Firstly, I suggest you do research of poetic techniques and brush up on what you know from language (perspective, metaphors, punctuation). You can look at a noun phrase, a full stop or anything and you can achieve high bands. You can analyse a seemingly boring line by doing this to get originality and develop your own ideas. When you do this, don't just stop at "the author used a metaphor to show panic" explain what words they used and why this links to panic for example.

(Written badly but you get the point below)
E.g in macbeth Act 3 Scene 4 "thy bones are marrowless" Macbeth describes Banquo's bones without blood. Marrow is needed to make blood. Jacobean people believed in the four humours in which one of them requires the balance of blood. As Banquo has no blood, he is seen as unhealthy. Shakespeare uses the lack of blood as an embodiment of Macbeth's unhealthy obsession with the murder and his desperation for everything to be better. The reoccurring motif of blood throughout the play echoes the idea of juxtaposition between life and death. As someone without blood appears before Macbeth, Shakespeare foreshadows the demise of the soldier with "overleaping ambitions". The barrier between life and death becomes "murky" as Shakespeare clashes blood with no blood.

You need to develop interesting theses. Always relate back to your thesis. The reader should never be confused on the point as you are ARGUING. You are convincing someone.

Use quotes all the time, link to as much as possible (context, authors intent) but they must never be bored. Each point must be as good as the last if not better. Your conclusion should develop the thesis into a twist. Dont just say "blood is symbolic of life and death" say "Shakespeare uses blood as a symbol of life and death. Doing this, he foreshadows the demise of Macbeth as the quantity gradually increases from a "spot" to "wading", demonstrating the king drowning in his misdeeds for power".

Talk about how it sounds when you read it out, what the words sound like or link to, why this makes you feel a certain way (e.g black links to darkness and darkness is uncertainty as you cannot clearly see)

I hope this helped and it wasnt too long winded 😅😅
This is really helpful, thanks, when did you start writing essays twice a week, I’m worried that I running out of time to improve 😬
amg2010
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did An Inspector Calls. DM me and I’ll see what I can do to help!
_pr3tzl_
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Emily~3695)
This is really helpful, thanks, when did you start writing essays twice a week, I’m worried that I running out of time to improve 😬
As soon as possible. As long as you practice it's okay. Once a week, once every two weeks. In the tun up to your GCSE you can never do too much. You get to have loads of rest after. However, don't get too stressed about it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (51)
18.35%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (78)
28.06%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (102)
36.69%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (37)
13.31%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (10)
3.6%

Watched Threads