Best type of questions for an EPQ?

Watch
Heyheyhey5
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Im thinking about researching a psychology type of question, what makes us attracted to someone else, however, is this too broad ? should i ask a different type of question e.g to what extent....

im so indecisive!!
xozxexo
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
I wouldn't say that's a too broad of a topic, there's many explanations, biology, environmental, psychodynamic etc. It should be enough to write about, you can do a little research, get some ideas and see if there's anything in particular that really catches your eye and you can focus on that.

Being a psychology student, i have access to a range of topics at a level that may be of use to you? Just let me know and i can dig out the relevant information from my textbooks etc.

If i was to do an EPQ i would base it off forensics psychology and would do something on the effectiveness of UK prisons, including how they manage offending behaviour, comparisons to other European countries with low recidivism rates etc etc. Did this recent in class and i found it fascinating
Heyheyhey5
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by xozxexo)
I wouldn't say that's a too broad of a topic, there's many explanations, biology, environmental, psychodynamic etc. It should be enough to write about, you can do a little research, get some ideas and see if there's anything in particular that really catches your eye and you can focus on that.

Being a psychology student, i have access to a range of topics at a level that may be of use to you? Just let me know and i can dig out the relevant information from my textbooks etc.

If i was to do an EPQ i would base it off forensics psychology and would do something on the effectiveness of UK prisons, including how they manage offending behaviour, comparisons to other European countries with low recidivism rates etc etc. Did this recent in class and i found it fascinating
The essay was originally 4000 words but they have changed it to 3000 words, i believe the citations will count for the word count too but im going to double check this. The other question i was considering doing was what are the negative and positive effects of peer pressure, however i think the first question i asked would be slightly more my street. Would it be okay to do my suggested quesiton and discuss different aspects of explanations in my essay or would you focus on one route of how we are attracted to others?

Do you
xozxexo
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Heyheyhey5)
The essay was originally 4000 words but they have changed it to 3000 words, i believe the citations will count for the word count too but im going to double check this. The other question i was considering doing was what are the negative and positive effects of peer pressure, however i think the first question i asked would be slightly more my street. Would it be okay to do my suggested quesiton and discuss different aspects of explanations in my essay or would you focus on one route of how we are attracted to others?

Do you
Your initial essay question should be good enough although if you have access to a psychology teacher I would definitely ask them to get their opinion.

The way i would answer that question is bring in a couple different explanations. It will set you up for s very nice conclusion of interactionism where in fact it could be an influence of all the explanations and it would be wrong to reduce it down to just a singular explanation as attraction is such a complex topic which no one still fully understands. (you can also include your own opinion, your personal experience that you've noticed- primary research after all, ask a few people how they find people attractive etc it could support a certain explanation or it could show interactionism)

If you limit yourself to one explanation, i would be scared that you would get stuck and have nothing else to write about or struggle with great difficulty and end up writing about things you don't really understand
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (34)
7.28%
October 2021 (212)
45.4%
November 2021 (52)
11.13%
December 2021 (61)
13.06%
January 2021 (52)
11.13%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (41)
8.78%