The Student Room Group

Chemistry dilute vs concentrated acids?

I know that weak vs strong is how much the acid dissociates but I’m confused atwhat dilute refers to- is it the concentration of H+ ions or the concentration of HA or something else?? And does dilution have the same effect on both strong and weak acids?

Also, if there is an increase in water, would this not shift the position of equilibrium to dissociate the HA more and create more H+ ions? (HA + H2O -> H3O+ + A-)
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by mushed
I know that weak vs strong is how much the acid dissociates but I’m confused atwhat dilute refers to- is it the concentration of H+ ions or the concentration of HA or something else?? And does dilution have the same effect on both strong and weak acids?

Also, if there is an increase in water, would this not shift the position of equilibrium to dissociate the HA more and create more H+ ions? (HA + H2O -> H3O+ + A-)

so if there was the same volume of the same acid but there was more water in beaker 1, then beaker 1 would be the dilute one and beaker 2 would be the concentrated one.

I hope that answers the first bit of your question.... don't know about the rest sorry

Quick Reply

Latest