Chemistry dilute vs concentrated acids?

Watch
mushed
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I know that weak vs strong is how much the acid dissociates but I’m confused atwhat dilute refers to- is it the concentration of H+ ions or the concentration of HA or something else?? And does dilution have the same effect on both strong and weak acids?

Also, if there is an increase in water, would this not shift the position of equilibrium to dissociate the HA more and create more H+ ions? (HA + H2O -> H3O+ + A-)
Last edited by mushed; 10 months ago
philogrobized
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by mushed)
I know that weak vs strong is how much the acid dissociates but I’m confused atwhat dilute refers to- is it the concentration of H+ ions or the concentration of HA or something else?? And does dilution have the same effect on both strong and weak acids?

Also, if there is an increase in water, would this not shift the position of equilibrium to dissociate the HA more and create more H+ ions? (HA + H2O -> H3O+ + A-)
so if there was the same volume of the same acid but there was more water in beaker 1, then beaker 1 would be the dilute one and beaker 2 would be the concentrated one.

I hope that answers the first bit of your question.... don't know about the rest sorry
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads