Enigma_74
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
My daughter wants to apply to university however we’re in a dilemma and seeking some advice and clarity on residency eligibility and what she will qualify for. I’m a UK citizen and she has indefinite leave to remain. She lived in the UK previously but had to return to our country due to my job in the armed forces. She returned to settle permanently back in July 2018. She is presently working but wants to starts university this year. From what I’ve read she meets two of the eligibility criteria but not the 3 year ordinarily resident one the first day at the start of the course. Does she qualify for any student finance {albeit as an international student or home student} ? Or should she wait until she reaches the 3 year which will be next year July. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Emily_B
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Surely she qualifies for student finance as an international student seeing as she hasn't lived here for the last 3 years?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Enigma_74)
My daughter wants to apply to university however we’re in a dilemma and seeking some advice and clarity on residency eligibility and what she will qualify for. I’m a UK citizen and she has indefinite leave to remain. She lived in the UK previously but had to return to our country due to my job in the armed forces. She returned to settle permanently back in July 2018. She is presently working but wants to starts university this year. From what I’ve read she meets two of the eligibility criteria but not the 3 year ordinarily resident one the first day at the start of the course. Does she qualify for any student finance {albeit as an international student or home student} ? Or should she wait until she reaches the 3 year which will be next year July. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Are you in the UK Armed Forces or, despite being a UK citizen, in some other Armed Forces? I thought that usually overseas postings for Armed Forces personnel and FCO etc, including their dependents, didn't count as being non-resident.
Enigma_74
Rep:
?
I am in the UK armed forces. My draft/posting was on a ship which was deployed not a land draft therefore my daughter couldn't accompany me. During this time she returned home where she completed her secondary education and college. All the while I was fighting the home office for her to return as they refused her application for settlement which was eventually overturned.
Last edited by Enigma_74; 10 months ago
Enigma_74
Rep:
?
I was told the rest of the world also had a 3 yr qualifying criteria even for international fee, which doesn’t make sense. In which case it’s best to wait and be eligible for home fees. Can anyone clarify this?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (640)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads