MPs vote against new clause about the Erasmus scheme Watch

Treetop321
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
"MPs have voted against New Clause 10 being read a second time, by 344 votes to 254.

This new clause would have required the Government to seek to negotiate continuing full membership of the EU’s Erasmus+ education and youth programme."

https://twitter.com/HouseofCommons/s...96118322532353
Cabin19
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
When I have just applied for an 2 year Erasmus Masters does this prevent me from doing this?
kazzykat95
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I remember them saying that Brexit wouldn't affect Erasmus. I wouldn't have expected politicians to lie.

On a more serious note, this will kill a lot of potential opportunities for students who may never otherwise get a chance to experience the world.
Iswain
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
God bless those who voted for Brexit and this appalling Conservative government. Thanks alot!
Kitten in boots
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Makes perfect sense.

We want to limit young upstarts going to Europe. They may return believing that the EU is a positive thing. The ideological purity of Brexit must be preserved.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
This doesn't mean the Government is taking the UK out of Erasmus. It just means they didn't particularly want to be bound by some tedious legislative amendment - why should they vote for it?
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Treetop321)
"MPs have voted against New Clause 10 being read a second time, by 344 votes to 254.

This new clause would have required the Government to seek to negotiate continuing full membership of the EU’s Erasmus+ education and youth programme."

https://twitter.com/HouseofCommons/s...96118322532353
Plenty of people now study abroad in the far east, US, Canada, Australia. Most UK unis do this on a one-for-one with other unis hence meaning students fees dont increase with study abroad.

I see no reason why this wont happen with EU unis, it will just be a different system.

Also whilst this is a huge generalisation, the majority of people on erasmus are just using the year to party (no slight against this, but this program is not exactly encouraging elite academics).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (17)
24.29%
My career doesn't need one (7)
10%
I'm sick of studying (14)
20%
I can't find a course I want to do (2)
2.86%
I don't know enough about them (8)
11.43%