Student Finance Alternatives (Lived abroad for over 3 years)

Watch
lmaodan
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I am planning to return to the UK (I am a UK Citizen) for my undergrad but have unfortunately discovered that I am not eligible for a student loan as I have lived abroad (Asia) for over 3 years. Are there any other ways I can get a student loan? I found Future Finance but I am unsure of whether they accept international students.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
If you can prove that your time abroad was temporary/for a fixed period of time (or due to parents and that you always intended to return to the UK when you turned 18 - might involve moving back to the uk for a year and working before starting a degree) then your residency will often still meet the requirements.
lmaodan
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
If you can prove that your time abroad was temporary/for a fixed period of time (or due to parents and that you always intended to return to the UK when you turned 18 - might involve moving back to the uk for a year and working before starting a degree) then your residency will often still meet the requirements.
Hello! Thanks for the reply. Do you know where I can get the specifics or a full explanation on how this works?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by lmaodan)
Hello! Thanks for the reply. Do you know where I can get the specifics or a full explanation on how this works?
Contact the ukcisa student helpline (should come up easily on google). They’re experts on student finance and support regulations.
Amy SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I am planning to return to the UK (I am a UK Citizen) for my undergrad but have unfortunately discovered that I am not eligible for a student loan as I have lived abroad (Asia) for over 3 years. Are there any other ways I can get a student loan? I found Future Finance but I am unsure of whether they accept international students.
Hi there,

If you can provide evidence to show your time spend in Asia was temporary and it was always your intention to return to the UK. The acceptable evidence would be; temporary visas or work permits, contract from your employer that shows the employment is of a temporary nature.

Thanks, Amy
lmaodan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Amy SFE)
Hi there,

If you can provide evidence to show your time spend in Asia was temporary and it was always your intention to return to the UK. The acceptable evidence would be; temporary visas or work permits, contract from your employer that shows the employment is of a temporary nature.

Thanks, Amy
Hello!

In any case there is no acceptable evidence, is there any other way I can be able to get a student loan? Thanks.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hello!

In any case there is no acceptable evidence, is there any other way I can be able to get a student loan? Thanks.
There can be other acceptable reasons and evidence - I strongly recommend that you ring ukcisa. They can ask you questions about the details of the reason for your stay and give you detailed help with the sort of evidence and information that you need to provide.
Amy SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hello!

Hi there,

If in the case you do not have any of the acceptable evidence, we would advise to send any evidence of the break (e.g. copies of ticket receipts, accommodation lease, etc.) with a covering letter to explain your situation. This evidence will be deemed acceptable on a 'case-by-case' basis.

Thanks, Amy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (720)
33.87%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (911)
42.85%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (402)
18.91%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.37%

Watched Threads