username5091846
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
We need to determine the energy transfer from the capacitor to the resistor between t1 and t2. To do so, we require the p.d transferred by the capacitor across the resistor between t1 and t2, and I dont understand how to calculate it.

Can anyone please explain?
Attached files
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by crudux_c)
We need to determine the energy transfer from the capacitor to the resistor between t1 and t2. To do so, we require the p.d transferred by the capacitor across the resistor between t1 and t2, and I dont understand how to calculate it.
Vardhan95 gives you a nice hint. One of your key tools for attacking lots of very different physics problems is a conservation law, they come in different flavours, conservation of mass, momentum, angular momentum, spin, boson number etc.

Here we can throw conservation of energy at the problem - always a good start if you dont know what to do. If you know energy stored in the cap at the start and end times, then you can calculate a difference. You then have to work out where the energy went (it can't just vanish), did it go back through the bridge rectifier or into heating up the resistor ?
Last edited by Mr Wednesday; 10 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (513)
33.75%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (627)
41.25%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (311)
20.46%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.54%

Watched Threads