Data analysis from focus group used to get children's suggestions for change?! Watch

ratatatat
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi there,

I'm an education student and research is not a strength of mine. For my dissertation, I need to get suggestions from a specific set of children which I will use to create a Likert scale. The teachers would essentially be responding to the children's suggestions on a scale ranging from 'not implementable at all, to easily implementable.

Trouble is, I've read and read and can't work out what kind of data analysis I would need to use when taking the children's suggestions. Every book I read mentions coding into discrete categories but that wouldn't have any impact on the likert scale. Conversational analysis wouldn't help either. I don't really mind how the children form their suggestions. The focus group is part of a sequential mixed method approach. It's the step towards the quantitative data at the end.

If anyone knows anything please, please help! I'm way out of my depth!
TheOnlyIzzy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
im not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I would:

take an open-answer survey first of children's suggestions. Ask them to write down (e.g.) 3 suggestions for how they could improve learning or lessons (or what your thing is on). Then identify the most common suggestions (statistical analysis I guess) among the students and place these on a likert scale (you may have to create operationalised categories in which to place the suggestions, and the suggestions themselves would be placed into these categories on personal discretion which is a bit iffy for bias but ya know). Once you have the teachers ratings you could cross reference them to how common the suggestion was and place these on a graph? If you convert the likert scale into numeric (e.g. impossible is 0 and very implementable is 6) you could do "teachers rating" (0-6) against how many kids suggested that compared to all the other suggestions (e.g. it was suggested 7 times out of a total of 70 suggestions - 10%) so a % of 1-100, and then provide a key for each plotted point. That would provide quantitative data
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Some form of thematic analysis? There is also q methodology but that might be a bit advanced
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (281)
60.82%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.76%