Why do not many Muslims not get referred to a psychiatrist?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I feel like I was the only one there that was Asian/Muslim
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
verily in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by gr8wizard10)
verily in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest
I know that and I did not want to be referred but felt forced. I find more peace worshipping Allah than I do going to them and the medication they give is not good for you because it comes with side effects
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
I suspect people from asian backgrounds might be less likely to seek help for mental health issues, but there are still plenty of asians and muslims in psychiatric hospitals and outpatient clinics. I have been in a psych hospital in a very "white" part of Scotland and even there there were several muslims during my time there.
Anonymous #3
Report 2 years ago
its less to do with religion and more to do with our culture

especially if you are asian, there is a massive stigma attached to mental illness. i have mental health problems and my dad gets so ****ing anal about me talking about it. usually because of the backwardness of our ******ed culture and the fact that the simple-minded pakistani folk hear 'mental health problems' and automatically think 'pagal' (crazy person) which is allegedly one of the biggest insults you can throw at a person, especially if that person is an unmarried female. oh noes, 'log kya kahenge?' (what will people in our beloved communiteeee say???) and more importantly - how will she ever find a HUSBAND arghhhhh! best keep quiet and act as though its not real. urgh literally no one in my extended family knows that i see a mental health team.

and i suspect other cultures - arabs and africans - have a similar mindset.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (78)
20.69%
Note taking apps (7)
1.86%
Flashcards (86)
22.81%
Revision guides (19)
5.04%
Past papers (172)
45.62%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (15)
3.98%

Watched Threads