Tips for somebody travelling to London alone Watch

Nat259
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am 17 years old, and next month I will be travelling to London by myself for an event. Does anybody have any tips for going to London by them self because I am really nervous. I have got everything planned, like what trains I need to get on etc.. but I am just really worried still and paranoid that I may get attacked or something.
ساره
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’ve lived in my London my entire life you’ll be fine. Try not to worry !! Citymapper might be a useful app for u
Allie4
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
if you're going straight to central london you'll be fine. touristy parts are completely safe. just prepare yourself for how crowded it gets though, especially at night and on fridays and saturdays
Delusion6
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't be nervous, its not as bad as people make it out to be.

Helpful tips:

.Get an oyster card, that's literally the best thing you can own when in London. Top it up and you can use it on any public transport that has the sign, through zones 1-6

.If you need any info you're better off asking someone who works at the train or tube station, don't rely on passers by. They won't always know the answer

.If at any point you want to take a taxi somewhere AVOID black cabs unless you're taking a really short journey (or are filthy rich!), especially if you are a tourist. They charge a ridiculous amount of money and many are known for deliberately taking the longer route to a nearby place just so that they can charge you extra. Better off getting an Uber

.London in general (imo anyway) is as safe as any other city. The media just likes to hype up the terror. In general the people you see on a day to day basis are just like you, tourists who are exploring or people minding their own business try to get to work. The 'attacks' you hear about are mainly known to happen in the rough areas (usually East London) and at night and are usually between some gang members who have unresolved 'beef' with each other. If you're just visiting the famous landmarks you've really got nothing to worry about. And of course keep your possessions very close to you and not on full display but I'm sure you know this already. Enjoy your time here, it really is a lovely and vibrant city with a lot to offer. But pricey though.
MoonlightRain
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’ve lived in London for all my life and I’ve never been attacked and I’m a hijabi. Use google maps if you get lost.
Kutie Karen
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
London is relatively safe. Which part of London are going for your event.? Are you here for only for a day or longer? It is worth getting an oyster card but only buy the zones you need otherwise it gets very expensive. Don't venture out too late in night unless it is a tourist area. The cost of living is very pricey in London so bring enough money for your food and other expenses. Book your hotel in advance to get best rates.

Let me know if you need any other advice. Enjoy London it is one of the best cities in the world so if you get a chance enjoy the sight seeing.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Delusion6)
Get an oyster card, that's literally the best thing you can own when in London. Top it up and you can use it on any public transport that has the sign, through zones 1-6
Why? Paying with debit card is either the same price or sometimes cheaper.

OP: You'll be fine.Leave enough time, stick to your plan. Yes London is a very high crime area, but in reality it is barely different to cities in the rest of the country. Watch for pickpockets... that's about it.
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nat259)
I am 17 years old, and next month I will be travelling to London by myself for an event. Does anybody have any tips for going to London by them self because I am really nervous. I have got everything planned, like what trains I need to get on etc.. but I am just really worried still and paranoid that I may get attacked or something.
Despite all the lurid headlines, it's actually very safe. I've never seen any trouble in the streets or felt threatened in quite a few years of travelling to London and living in London, including in areas often described as 'rough'.

The London Underground network and the trains are completely covered by camera surveillance, literally there is nowhere that isn't on camera. This puts people off committing crimes on public transport as they know they will end up being caught.

Be a little careful regarding pickpockets and bag snatchers, which are sometimes an issue in crowded tourist areas. Don't keep wallet or purse in an easily visible place or in a bag that can easily be stolen from you. This is particularly an issue in Oxford St and in places like Piccadilly Circus and Leicester Square - the main tourist traps.

Late at night be thoughtful about your safety, avoid walking alone in poorly lit areas. Tube networks are fine late at night.

Have fun, London is a great place to visit! :hugs:
Meglou03
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don’t panic especially during rush hour people can seem pushy, rude and arrogant because they want to get where there going. Also be aware of your surroundings just to be safe. Good luck and remember to have a good time !!
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Nat259)
Just going to add besides planning your journey- no need for taxis if its in London, unless totally lost.
My tip is get your food and drink to take with you so you have enough going and coming back and dont pay London prices.
Have some emergency money in your bag- keep valuables out of sight- and just eat at chains or use the supermarkets or M&S.
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Why? Paying with debit card is either the same price or sometimes cheaper.
Because if you drop or lose an oyster card on your journey, or you randomly shove it in a pocket or bag and it gets pinched, you're not losing something as valuable as your debit card. That's why I've got one, for security; I'd just be losing a few quid worth of travel.
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don't look like too much of a tourist! If you are going to use your phone to check anything, step inside a shop rather than do it out on the street; better still, try to memorise your route or have it written on a piece of paper. Keep your valuables secure. When you say 'event' are you up to speed on the venue's rules (if applicable) like what you can take in and the size of bag allowed?

I've been visiting London on my own since I was 14, to see family and for exhibitions and football, so been in all kinds of districts with crowds of people; never had an issue, never seen anyone else have a problem.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Surnia)
Because if you drop or lose an oyster card on your journey, or you randomly shove it in a pocket or bag and it gets pinched, you're not losing something as valuable as your debit card. That's why I've got one, for security; I'd just be losing a few quid worth of travel.
That would make sense if you're doing it regularly. Its an awful lot of work for marginal gains for a single trip though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (176)
67.18%
No (86)
32.82%

Watched Threads