Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Here it is :
Name:  8E03B46A-B335-4708-93BF-E3A7A1CD872B.jpeg
Views: 24
Size:  29.4 KB
I don’t know which fills first, the 4s or the 3d ? I thought it was 4s but a friend of mine says the answer is B not A so I’m not sure
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Leah.J)
Here it is :
Name:  8E03B46A-B335-4708-93BF-E3A7A1CD872B.jpeg
Views: 24
Size:  29.4 KB
I don’t know which fills first, the 4s or the 3d ? I thought it was 4s but a friend of mine says the answer is B not A so I’m not sure
The last electron theoretically added is the 3d10 electron... unless you are coming from copper [Ar]4s1 3d10, in which case it would be the 4s2 electron.

The question is actually nonsense, as electrons are not "built up", but rather exist in the arrangement found empirically in each species. It like saying that protons are "added" when moving up the periodic table.

It's a poor question, open to different interpretations.

In terms of logic,
Choice A is energy level 3, d sub-shell, fourth orbital, up-spin (not possible, as 3d orbital chosen for final entry should be -2 and spin -1/2)
Choice B is energy level 4, s sub-shell, s orbital, up-spin (not possible, as wrong electron added, should be -1/2)
Choice C is energy level 3, s sub-shell, s orbital, down-spin (not possible, as 3s!)
Choice D is energy level 4, p sub-shell, pz orbital, up-spin (not possible, as no 4p in zinc)
Choice E is energy level 4, d sub-shell, dz2 orbital, down-spin (not possible, as 3d not 4d)

hence, rubbish question

The answer should be: n=3, l=2, m=-2, s=-1/2
Last edited by charco; 2 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (217)
33.91%
No (423)
66.09%

Watched Threads