Mc Manus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Multi store model of memory was developed by Atkinson e shiftin. The question ask to outline the effectiveness of the theory in relation to other theories of memory
ThePsychKid
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mc Manus)
Multi store model of memory was developed by Atkinson e shiftin. The question ask to outline the effectiveness of the theory in relation to other theories of memory
How many marks is this question? Because your answer depends on how many marks its for. Since you haven't mentioned the number of marks, I'll give an answer for 4 marks.

1) The multi-store model of memory (I'll refer to it as MSM) is too simplistic as it suggests that both short term memory (STM) and long term memory (LTM) are single 'unitary' stores. There's research support that both STM and LTM are divided into a number of qualitatively different stores (Working Memory Model = WMM) i.e. there's a difference in type of memory stored in each store. For example, for STM, the phonological loop holds auditory information but the visuo-spatial sketchpad holds visual and/or spatial information. Elaborative rehearsal in the MSM explains long-term semantic memories but doesn't explain long-term episodic memories.

2) Doesn't explain dual task performance unlike the WMM

3) Case studies used as research support for STM and LTM which might decrease external validity

4) The MSM suggests that STM is involved before LTM, however one researcher argued that STM actually relies on LTM and thus cannot come first as shown by MSM
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (44)
24.18%
No, but I have thought about it (49)
26.92%
No (89)
48.9%

Watched Threads