Turn on thread page Beta

Did your first choice Uni stay your first choice? watch

• View Poll Results: Did your first choice Uni stay your first choice?
    Yes
    62.26%
    No
    37.74%

ReputationRep:
    When I applied on UCAS, I had a definite first choice which I was so enthusiastic about going to. However, after visiting the open day and listening to the talk about the course I chose, I decided it totally wasn't right for me - ended up going to the open day for my second choice and was totally delighted.

This was totally unexpected of course - so, did you stick with your first option all the way through or did you change your mind due to finding out more info after submitting your app?

ReputationRep:
    My first choice was Warwick until I visited in June, so now LSE is my first choice (submitting apps this October.)

ReputationRep:
    Nope my first choice stayed my first choice (excluding Oxford which i wasn't expecting an offer from). I loved the place even more after visiting it.

Then only problem is that there are very few other places i visited that i want to go to. So i'd better make my grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yodude888)
    My first choice was Warwick until I visited in June, so now LSE is my first choice (submitting apps this October.)
    Yeah, mine was Queen Mary before I visited. I found it strange as I grew up in London and should be used to it, but the atmosphere, the busy Mile End road, and the English/Humanities building(?) being opposite a huge car rentals place made me uncomfortable. The course information just decided it for me really.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. St Andrews all the way.

ReputationRep:
    No. Initially it was Cambridge, then failing that (and I did...I failed admission, I mean :p: ), York would be my top choice. When I visited it, I really didn't like it , and I begun to like Newcastle more. I then visited my future firm, Southampton, having put it down as my "I'm only putting it down to make the most of having five choices" fifth-choice wildcard, which I knew nothing about - and I absolutely loved it.

I've since visited York, and it grew on me, but still wasn't quite for me. Just so happy I took a chance with Southampton, a uni and a place that I knew nothing about before visiting - coming from the north.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I originally wanted to do Law at Edinburgh but eventually changed my mind when I realized Aberdeen was the place for me

ReputationRep:
    Orginally I was like BRISTOL BRISTOL BRISTOL BRISTOL!
    But when i visited Cardiff i think i actually fell in love with the place, the school of nursing is amazing and the lecturers seemed so positive i couldn't think of being anywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fone)
    Orginally I was like BRISTOL BRISTOL BRISTOL BRISTOL!
    But when i visited Cardiff i think i actually fell in love with the place, the school of nursing is amazing and the lecturers seemed so positive i couldn't think of being anywhere else.
    Yay for Cardiff <3 I fell in love with the atmosphere when I went there too and the lecturers were great.

ReputationRep:
    my first choice is Exeter now but i was at first in love with Plymouth's campus & facilities ~ still am really but the Exeter course is so much better!, ill be happy wherever i end up though really, just gonna see how it goess.

ReputationRep:
    Was almost 99% sure I wanted to go to Southampton when I realised I was going to be overqualified for a foundation year which they refused to compromise; Leicester turned out to be 'the best friend who has history with me and should technically date me sometime soon because we have a deep and hidden connection that none other could understand' kind of thing.

ReputationRep:
    I was completely sure that I wanted to study medicine at Glasgow Uni and was planning on only applying to Scottish unis. That was until I went to Aberdeen- the thought of 5 years there really did not appeal to me at all! So I had to look elsewhere and put Newcastle as my last choice, it being only 1hr 30mins on the train from where I live. When I went for the interview there I fell in love with the city and the university. It might seem mad that I've chosen to go to England and pay tuition fees when I could stay in Scotland and not have any fees to pay but I don't care- I think the extra debt will be worth it!

ReputationRep:
    Initially I was studying English (before I decided it wasn't for me) and the school of English at Leeds had a good reputation etc. so chose there, decided I liked Leeds a lot so am going back to study a different course this year...

ReputationRep:
    My first choice was SOAS and I was going to make it my firm, but after thinking about it afterwards, I prefered the law course at Queen Mary (plus I got an unconditional offer, which was nice of them ).

ReputationRep:
    I was all for UCL (and secretely Cambridge although I didn't think I would make it!) when I was applying, but now I've been totally won over by Durham.

ReputationRep:
    Mine is quite werid. I originally applied for Law with Economics at Leicester, Keele & QMUL, Land econ at cambridge and Law with Finance at Salford. Then I got rejected by cam then QMUL said they are not doing the course any more meaning i could apply somewhere else. (luckily they told me this in december).

So first of all I looked at the unis for law and econ but none of the good unis or the unis I liked had a 3yr LLB so I thought there is no point apply for law & econ. The like last minute I saw the social pol & econ course at LSE applied and got an offer which is now my firm

ReputationRep:
    After initially reading through prospectuses and looking at uni courses/locations, I really liked Sussex and had my heart set on it being my first choice. However after visiting Leciester I unexpectedly fell in love and then after visiting Sussex began to have doubts about it. Now I actually can't see myself going anywhere other than Leciester, which was originally my fifth choice and also a last second subsititute.

ReputationRep:
    Originally I was expecting to go to Portsmouth, or Cardiff (since I knew I was capable of getting into such a university). I visited Sheffield Hallam however and completely adored it... it was only my fifth choice before, since it had the largest intake, it was my safety net.

It's now my unconditional firm!

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I was hoping to go to Bristol but my firm choice ended up being Edinburgh :love:.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. I was so sure I wanted to go to Sheffield, I applied to 2 courses there, with the intention of making them my firm and my insurance, added a few other courses because I had prospectus's for them, visited Leicester not expecting much and thought it was miles nicer with a marginally better course than Sheffield

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.