Boksr
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
It is not needed to become an accountant or succeed in the finance sector, so why do an A+F degree?
Why not an apprenticeship with an accounting firm straight away and get paid whilst sitting the exams to become qualified at your own pace?
Do people opt for the university debt in this case just because society says that not going to university is a bad idea, especially for top students?
Last edited by Boksr; 1 month ago
tmr19
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Boksr)
It is not needed to become an accountant or succeed in the finance sector, so why do an A+F degree?
Why not an apprenticeship with an accounting firm straight away and get paid whilst sitting the exams to become qualified at your own pace?
Do people opt for the university debt in this case just because society says that not going to university is a bad idea, especially for top students?
Hey, I've just been offered the Level 7/ACA apprenticeship at EY starting this September. Basically:

Everyone I've spoken to during recruitment and other contacts in the industry said that as long as you know you 100% want to stay in accounting, going straight into ACA and getting the work experience is by far the best. My final interviewer and future boss said to me that she considered ACA to hold far more weight than a degree - and as you progress through your career, professional qualifications and experience are far more important, and the degree becomes increasingly irrelevant.

Doing the degree does, of course, give you more flexibility should you want to do something other than accounting. But if you know you want do go into something like Big 4/Top 20 anyway, you qualify quicker than a graduate whilst earning a pretty generous salary the whole time + 5 years work experience.

Hope I helped
Boksr
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by tmr19)
Hey, I've just been offered the Level 7/ACA apprenticeship at EY starting this September. Basically:

Everyone I've spoken to during recruitment and other contacts in the industry said that as long as you know you 100% want to stay in accounting, going straight into ACA and getting the work experience is by far the best. My final interviewer and future boss said to me that she considered ACA to hold far more weight than a degree - and as you progress through your career, professional qualifications and experience are far more important, and the degree becomes increasingly irrelevant.

Doing the degree does, of course, give you more flexibility should you want to do something other than accounting. But if you know you want do go into something like Big 4/Top 20 anyway, you qualify quicker than a graduate whilst earning a pretty generous salary the whole time + 5 years work experience.

Hope I helped
Thank you!
tmr19
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Boksr)
Thank you!
No worries. If you have any questions regarding the application processes+ let me know, I got offers from most places I went to I've got some experience there
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (417)
67.37%
No (202)
32.63%

Watched Threads