The Student Room Group

Sutton Trust UK Summer School 2020 Help

I would like to apply for the Summer School 2020 for Law but I feel like I wouldn't be eligible. My Gcses were terrible. I got 2 6's, combined science 5-4, 1 5's, 2 4's and 2 3's. I Attend a school or college with a below-average A-level and I live in a neighbourhood with a low rate of progression to higher education and/or a high level of socio-economic deprivation. Is it worth applying?
Yes definitely apply because you might get in and its would be regretful if you didnt. Most unis dont have grade requirements for their sutton trust but i would look up if you are eligible gces wise. Their main requirement is for you to be in yr 12 (if you're in england) and attending a state school so you're eligible for sutton trust definitely. However, it's very competitive so you might not get a place with those who meet their additional requirements more (e.g. not being the first one in your generation to go to school) so the less you meet, the less likely you'll get in. However, you seem to to meet their requirements for living in a neighborhood with a low rate of progression to higher education or a high level of socio-economic deprivation; you have attended schools with a lower than average progression to higher education so you have a good chance but it just depends on the people, whos applying as well - so it's definitely worth applying.
hi, i did sutton trust last year. it is important to meet as much requirements as possible, but i have met people on the course who only said they met a few. it depends on the course you do and the uni you choose. i did Business Management at Kings so i had a higher chance of getting in as opposed to something like Law at Cambridge, but i did still meet at least 3 of their requirements. still apply because you don’t know if you’ll get in!
i also suggest you try out other programs such as UNIQ, but they do have very high GCSE requirements. I’m sure there are more to apply too though!
Reply 3
Original post by watershower
hi, i did sutton trust last year. it is important to meet as much requirements as possible, but i have met people on the course who only said they met a few. it depends on the course you do and the uni you choose. i did Business Management at Kings so i had a higher chance of getting in as opposed to something like Law at Cambridge, but i did still meet at least 3 of their requirements. still apply because you don’t know if you’ll get in!
i also suggest you try out other programs such as UNIQ, but they do have very high GCSE requirements. I’m sure there are more to apply too though!

Im not sure which university to choose. I want to choose one where I might have a better chance of getting in but does each university look at GCSES? I want to do law but there are many unis to choose from
Original post by babihan
Im not sure which university to choose. I want to choose one where I might have a better chance of getting in but does each university look at GCSES? I want to do law but there are many unis to choose from

i am honestly not 100% sure how they decide applications, but university is simply just the place you’ll be staying and doing work at. sutton trust decides who gets in, i don’t think the universities have much input after they set their criteria.
choosing a uni is hard, but decide based on location i think. once you’ve decided what region is best for you, take a look at the universities website for the course and see which one you like best, then apply from there.
just because you choose that uni doesn’t mean youll apply there, you might change your mind. so the decision is important, but not extremely.
sutton trust has little bearing on whether you'll actually get into uni or not, so just apply for the summer school and take a chance; you won't miss out on anything by applying. research the partner unis that offer your course and you make a decision from there.
Original post by babihan
I would like to apply for the Summer School 2020 for Law but I feel like I wouldn't be eligible. My Gcses were terrible. I got 2 6's, combined science 5-4, 1 5's, 2 4's and 2 3's. I Attend a school or college with a below-average A-level and I live in a neighbourhood with a low rate of progression to higher education and/or a high level of socio-economic deprivation. Is it worth applying?

It looks like Sutton Trust have a preference for applicants with 5 GCSEs at grade 6 so you may not be eligible (check directly with them). However, you can still get into uni without Sutton Trust and not all unis care much about GCSEs as long as you have good A level predictions. If you're interested in Law you should be aiming for As and Bs at A level

https://summerschools.suttontrust.com/eligibility/
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by harrysbar
It looks like Sutton Trust have a preference for applicants with 5 GCSEs at grade 6 so you may not be eligible (check directly with them). However, you can still get into uni without Sutton Trust and not all unis care much about GCSEs as long as you have good A level predictions. If you're interested in Law you should be aiming for As and Bs at A level

https://summerschools.suttontrust.com/eligibility/

Sorry for interrupting but I think they are still eligible because they meet the main requirements but because of their gcse grades they have less of a chance to get picked, if this makes sense. However, I do agree with you about the rest and OP should focus on getting those grades, if they didnt get in or not :smile:
Original post by PetitePanda
Sorry for interrupting but I think they are still eligible because they meet the main requirements but because of their gcse grades they have less of a chance to get picked, if this makes sense. However, I do agree with you about the rest and OP should focus on getting those grades, if they didnt get in or not :smile:

Yes I used the wrong word in eligible, I meant that they might not get in without 5 GCSEs at grade 6 but worth checking with Sutton Trust :smile:
Original post by harrysbar
Yes I used the wrong word in eligible, I meant that they might not get in without 5 GCSEs at grade 6 but worth checking with Sutton Trust :smile:

Ohhh i understand but yeah they definitely should check up with them and maybe apply because there's no downfall in doing so
i’ve applied to durham ST for geog, and it said that we would be emailed by 3/4, but i haven’t received any emails.

has anyone else applied for durham sutton trust 2020?
Original post by azby1098
i’ve applied to durham ST for geog, and it said that we would be emailed by 3/4, but i haven’t received any emails.

has anyone else applied for durham sutton trust 2020?

I havent applied to durham sutton trust but they sent me an email saying that they will send their decision late April and even on the website it says
I havent applied to durham sutton trust but they sent me an email saying that they will send their decision late April and even on the website it says

this is what i received the other - not quite sure whether dates have changed :frown: 0D8819B0-B6D1-4596-8C9D-EAEE02D5CBC6.jpg.jpeg
this is what i received the other - not quite sure whether dates have changed :frown: 0D8819B0-B6D1-4596-8C9D-EAEE02D5CBC6.jpg.jpeg

Is it in Spam or any other place?
Is it in Spam or any other place?

i have now received my decision email.. yet to open though! 🥴😬
i have now received my decision email.. yet to open though! 🥴😬

Gooooooooood luckkkkkkkk :rave:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending